1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Driving equipment on the road in ma.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cat320, Dec 20, 2013.

  1. cat320

    cat320 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,224

    This has probably been asked before . For example if you have say Volvo L90 and want to plow roads with it , what kind of plate in ma do you get for it? Do you register it for 30k lbs? Does it go thru an inspection like a truck or is it different?
  2. tuney443

    tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,847

    I would think that the same redneck laws that pertain to my state of New Yawk apply to MA.Been roading iron for 39 years,never had an issue,not saying it's legal,but talking to some cop friends of mine[some who moonlite operate] say it's really not in their ''radar'' to pull a backhoe or loader over.A friend of mine drove home an old Cat 988 from an auction taking up a lane and a half brushing up the roof of the ROPS under traffic lights,passed a cop who's jaw hit his steering wheel,never turned around.
  3. SnowGuy73

    SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 24,870

    I'm assuming If you're using it for plowing throw a slow vehicle sign on it and some strobes you'd be good.
  4. 512high

    512high Senior Member
    Messages: 136

    Im in NH, we have a 43hp Kubota we drive from site to site when needed. We were issued a commercial equipment plate, no state inspections needed, however we make sure everything works etc, we have full insurance on it as well. Maybe as your town hall or others? Good luck, ou have a nice rig
  5. JemPlowing

    JemPlowing Junior Member
    Messages: 10

    we run hyndia 750 + cat 930 and backhoes in mass no plates just incurnce never been stopped yet they no we are out there working in the belly of the beast
  6. lawnboy2121

    lawnboy2121 Senior Member
    Messages: 470

    We always registered our machines we run commercial plates and r registered for the weight of the machine. We also have our NH skidsteer registered we run SR plates on that
  7. cat320

    cat320 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,224

    so you have to do a regular truck type inspection or does the state waive that for equipment? so if your running a 30K lb loader it cost you $600 plus what does your insurance carrier charge for a loader?
  8. lawnboy2121

    lawnboy2121 Senior Member
    Messages: 470

    It costs what ever the weight of the machine is if it's 30000 u pay for a 30000 Gvw then u insure it and u r all set u need a title for the machine to register it
  9. Santry426

    Santry426 Senior Member
    Messages: 419

    Supposed to have cdl if its over 26k gvwr
  10. mackclmodel

    mackclmodel Senior Member
    Messages: 164

    Owner contractor plates
  11. Moose's Mowing

    Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA
    Messages: 198

    I can't go 2 miles up the road without passing a tractor or Amish buggy of some type here in PA. Far as I know, no fancy plates or insurance required. Just a little orange triangle. I run my little Kubota all over the place, never had any issues.
  12. cretebaby

    cretebaby PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,162

    And what is the GVWR of a L90? :rolleyes:
  13. cat320

    cat320 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,224

    An L90 is 30k plus lb machine . But aside from that I didn't know if machines had different plates and do they have to get an inspection sticker like a truck or they exempt?
  14. wils5150

    wils5150 Member
    from mass
    Messages: 87

    they need plates and a inspection
  15. tjctransport

    tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,390

    here in New Jersey we use Contractor equipment in-transit plates, with proof of certificate of liability insurance, and an escort if it is over 8 foot wide..
    transit tags cost $135 for 5 sets of plates per year.
  16. lawnboy2121

    lawnboy2121 Senior Member
    Messages: 470

    If it's over 8'6" u have to get an over width permit
  17. lawnboy2121

    lawnboy2121 Senior Member
    Messages: 470

    I think u need a certain number of machines in order to get an owner operator set of plates in ma. And with those plates r good for is going from site to site u cannot do any work like plowing city streets with those plates
  18. lawnboy2121

    lawnboy2121 Senior Member
    Messages: 470

    All machines running owner operator plates need to have a sticker on them to go with the plates showing taxes were payed on that machine also I think
  19. dirtnazi

    dirtnazi Member
    from ct
    Messages: 66

    Here in CT I run 4 L 90s and 2 L 70s and a L 20 they all have a special equipment plates no inspections just insurance . That's what I have to do to plow roads here.