Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Drag Pro 16' in November 2018. So far I've had 2 major issues that have plagued me this season and 3 non critical issues as well.

I'll start with the two major and follow with three non-critical
  1. The power plug in back is fully exposed, no protective plug shell that is weather tight. Essentially it is an inside cab joystick plug that is continually sucking in water, ice, salt and dirt on both plow and truck connections while in service, and on truck half when plow is not in service. This has caused dead heading and regular intermittent function failing all season. We've basically had to grease and shrink wrap the plug and seal both sides with tape. However, once you tear the wrap off to drop plow, the corrosion in plug begins again. Not the sealed heavy duty plugs and caps I've been accustomed to, lots of headaches, troubleshooting and time spent.
  2. The 5" x 1/2" grade 2 sheer bolts the protect the cylinders on both wings have no safety chain or safety in place. What happened is the bolt became weak and snapped while pulling a contained load of snow in a tight area and the bolt snapped and the right wing followed gravity and swung open without me knowing until it hit a parked car. Now the non critical issues below.
  3. All reflective stickers are long gone.
  4. The wing edges are worn very uneven at tips even though they sit 3" up dialed in while bringing plow to ground with little downward force.
  5. Using the downward force of rear plow this winter has sagged rear end of truck and pushed the front end up an inch or two bringing the mounting of the V plow out of level.
Not sure how I feel at this point. I certainly hope there isn't going to be issues out of the woodwork next winter. The last thing a guys wants is major issues with important equipment when working in these extreme conditions. Puckering over the truck and transmission is enough. Thoughts?

· Registered
58,836 Posts
The power plug in back is fully exposed, no protective plug shell that is weather tight. Essentially it is an inside cab joystick plug that is continually sucking in water, ice, salt and dirt on both plow and truck connections while in service, and on truck half when plow is not in service. This has caused dead heading and regular intermittent function failing all season. We've basically had to grease and shrink wrap the plug and seal both sides with tape. However, once you tear the wrap off to drop plow, the corrosion in plug begins again. Not the sealed heavy duty plugs and caps I've been accustomed to, lots of headaches, troubleshooting and time spent.
Something Toro\Boss\LT Rich seems to have a hard time grasping.

The 5" x 1/2" grade 2 sheer bolts the protect the cylinders on both wings have no safety chain or safety in place. What happened is the bolt became weak and snapped while pulling a contained load of snow in a tight area and the bolt snapped and the right wing followed gravity and swung open without me knowing until it hit a parked car.
Never had that happen and been running Eblings since '05. They've always broken upon impact. You sure you didn't hit something?

The wing edges are worn very uneven at tips even though they sit 3" up dialed in while bringing plow to ground with little downward force.
Normal wear and tear, especially if you're running the wings at a 45° a lot instead of straight out. Maybe you need to adjust the "top links" as it's sitting too far forward?

Using the downward force of rear plow this winter has sagged rear end of truck and pushed the front end up an inch or two bringing the mounting of the V plow out of level.
Huh? This isn't possible. The weight of the plow itself might be causing sag, but down pressure pushes the rear end up, unloading the rear suspension, not loading it. And since it's acting as a lever, it pushes the front end down when using down pressure.

· Registered
58,836 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the front end comment is not making sense now that I read it. The weird thing is I’ve never had problems mounting the V for 7 years and now I have to either have downward pressure on rear plow to get it lined up or Jack the V plow up an inch or two. The problem didn’t start until I stared using this Drag Pro.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
We always drop the front plow first and then back plow. No matter how we set the jacks on the Blizzards, they don't quite line up, so we use the downpressure to get the truck mount and plow lined up.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have dragged or hit something buts it’s pretty hard to tell in pitch dark and buried in snow working all the clients locations. I assume it caught on something but I feel the R and D team should have developed a safety of some sort. Maybe I’m wrong.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
I suppose they could, never really thought about it. All our "hits" have been due to user error...forgetting the wing is extended partially or all the way.

· Registered
17,483 Posts
The lining up of the front plow has to do with it being set up before you added the weight of the back plow.
I run into the same thing if I take the plow off with a loaded salter and try to put it back on with it unloaded. Continuity is important when you take it off and put it on.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Continuity is important when you take it off and put it on.
This is true for getting dressed as well...then you don't forget to zip the zipper...

· Registered
15,656 Posts
I prefer I never heard that
What if I said it...?

I bought a new Drag Pro 16' in November 2018. So far I've had 2 major issues that have plagued me this season and 3 non critical issues as well.

I'll start with the two major and follow with three non-critical
  1. The power plug in back is fully exposed, no protective plug shell that is weather tight. Essentially it is an inside cab joystick plug that is continually sucking in water, ice, salt and dirt on both plow and truck connections while in service, and on truck half when plow is not in service. This has caused dead heading and regular intermittent function failing all season. We've basically had to grease and shrink wrap the plug and seal both sides with tape. However, once you tear the wrap off to drop plow, the corrosion in plug begins again. Not the sealed heavy duty plugs and caps I've been accustomed to, lots of headaches, troubleshooting and time spent.
  2. The 5" x 1/2" grade 2 sheer bolts the protect the cylinders on both wings have no safety chain or safety in place. What happened is the bolt became weak and snapped while pulling a contained load of snow in a tight area and the bolt snapped and the right wing followed gravity and swung open without me knowing until it hit a parked car. Now the non critical issues below.
  3. All reflective stickers are long gone.
  4. The wing edges are worn very uneven at tips even though they sit 3" up dialed in while bringing plow to ground with little downward force.
  5. Using the downward force of rear plow this winter has sagged rear end of truck and pushed the front end up an inch or two bringing the mounting of the V plow out of level.
Not sure how I feel at this point. I certainly hope there isn't going to be issues out of the woodwork next winter. The last thing a guys wants is major issues with important equipment when working in these extreme conditions. Puckering over the truck and transmission is enough. Thoughts?
Get in your dealers ear and Boss.. it's going to take a group effort...

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What if I said it...?

Get in your dealers ear and Boss.. it's going to take a group effort...
Trust me I've been each of their ears 5-6 x already. I know this plow is less expensive then a Sno Power but good quality and function, development and safety should never be compromised even at these prices.

· Registered
8,530 Posts
Trust me I've been each of their ears 5-6 x already. I know this plow is less expensive then a Sno Power but good quality and function, development and safety should never be compromised even at these prices.
You spend good money for something and you expect it to work....No hoops should have to be jumped through...The only thing that should be said is...I'm sorry for the inconvenience and we will do everything in our power to fix the issues...

· Registered
16,387 Posts
We have 2 of them and I knew buying something the first year out wouldnt be great. We got them in the box and put them together and did the installation myself as I like to see how things work. If you look on the link that Mark O posted I think starting around page 18-20 you will see some of the problems we had. Mostly it had to do with the module and the fitting of the mount. There was only one problem with the plug on the plow itself, it would fill with water and then freeze so I just leave the boot/cover off it and its fine.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have 2 of them and I knew buying something the first year out wouldnt be great. We got them in the box and put them together and did the installation myself as I like to see how things work. If you look on the link that Mark O posted I think starting around page 18-20 you will see some of the problems we had. Mostly it had to do with the module and the fitting of the mount. There was only one problem with the plug on the plow itself, it would fill with water and then freeze so I just leave the boot/cover off it and its fine.
I'm not talking about the large black and red booted ground plug but the other smaller power plug with no boot. I know the manufacturer has got it out that it's the module and that's the same thing we were told. We modified the plate and turned it upright for drainage and still had no functions. However, for now anyways, it ended being corrosion that led to the function problems from having NO boot or cover on the power plug itself.

· Registered
16,387 Posts
I'm not talking about the large black and red booted ground plug but the other smaller power plug with no boot. I know the manufacturer has got it out that it's the module and that's the same thing we were told. We modified the plate and turned it upright for drainage and still had no functions. However, for now anyways, it ended being corrosion that led to the function problems from having NO boot or cover on the power plug itself.
That smaller plug has a cover for the one end and a plug for the other. Thats what I like about doing it all myself I got everything that came in the box. A friend had one installed by the dealer and they never put the bars in the turn buckles to adjust it for level, the guy doing the install probably didnt even know what they were..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.