Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always feel like I am throwing away 1/3 of my cutting edge so I welded old cutting edge to back of new cutting edge.....cut old edge in 12" pieces and welded edges and welded the bolt holes to new cutting edge....Time will tell....

Any else ever try it?.....

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Road surface

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tread

Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
2,208 Posts

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Uh, silly question. What happens when the front edge wears down and reaches those back pieces that are about as straight as a country road?
Maybe it's my eyes, but if you look at the bolts, they appear to be the same distance off if his scraps, thereby making his blade frown shaped.

Or So it appears.

I was under the impression you weren't supposed to weld on plow edges, as you're tempering the metal, weakening its ability to resist wear. This is why curb guards are bolted on.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
Maybe it's my eyes, but if you look at the bolts, they appear to be the same distance off if his scraps, thereby making his blade frown shaped.

Or So it appears.

I was under the impression you weren't supposed to weld on plow edges, as you're tempering the metal, weakening its ability to resist wear. This is why curb guards are bolted on.
I highlighted in yellow what I assume are the pieces of scrap that he welded on. The original blade, in black, is on the bottom (away from the photo)

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

· Registered
17,708 Posts
I know I’ll be the one to hit a hunk a metal in the road behind you.
It may have been more cost effective and a better fit if you went to your local metal supply and bought the right width without the curved ends. Drilled them and used longer bolts.
Not sure I’m sold that thicker will wear slower. I plow quite a bit and get 2 seasons out of my boss oem edges.
JMO

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know but hardened steel is only getting my a year of plowing....the weld areas loose hardening who cares.....I will see if it works......They weld D9 and bulldozer blades all the time do they loose hardening...I don't really care....I just wanted it thicker.....they will wear down and be straight..

· Registered
7,605 Posts
D9 blades won't be tr
I don't think that is a great Idea. I have welded scraps on pusher shoe and I won't do that again. There just wear items it is what it is.
Did uour D9 dozer welded blade fall off at 40mph and get kicked up into a windshield of the caterpillar behind you, on US80 ?

You and your crazy dozer chases on highway stories always had me chuckling

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea it broke off just driving down the road.........had to out run the cops with the D9...I need new cleats on it as feels like I am on a mule bouncing....I was worried that the bouncing would make a blade pieces just drop off.....Putting a new can muffler on the Dozer to go faster.......

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes cwren....those are the scrape pieces.....the center wears faster than the outside edges of my V plow...so I put thicker pieces- wider pieces near center of V....I placed the pieces as tight to the upper plow support as the shock from dropping plow would transfer to plow frame instead of welds....that is why it looks skewed....

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Issues I see here are:

1. Thicker blade means less ground pressure since weight of plow is spread over a larger area, usually means it won't scrape as well.

2. Uneven mounting of the pieces is going to cause very odd wear of the edge. Areas that have the pieces welded lower are going wear much slower than where they are higher up.

3. Really should have some plug welds. With them on the back you will be literally trying to pull them off while plowing.

4. All that extra weight making the pump work harder and hanging off the front of your truck. Be just that much less snow your plow will be able to stack.

All that said I have welded pieces of old cutting edge to a new cutting edge before. Just on the ends to help slow the uneven wear caused when windrowing. Didn't see a noticeable improvement in edge life. I also put them on the front of the edge.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
yes cwren....those are the scrape pieces.....the center wears faster than the outside edges of my V plow...so I put thicker pieces- wider pieces near center of V....I placed the pieces as tight to the upper plow support as the shock from dropping plow would transfer to plow frame instead of welds....that is why it looks skewed....
This is normally caused by the plow being out of adjustment.

· Registered
17,050 Posts
I don’t think adding the weight is a nonissue for your boss plow as a set of wings Would also add weight. Boss uses the same pump in all of their plows and they vary in weight and if you put wings on a 9 foot plow???

The weight does add ground pressure .
I just think you’re added edge needs to be straight /even with the new edge you have.

Keep the backyard engineering ideas comming

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I don't think adding the weight is a nonissue for your boss plow as a set of wings Would also add weight. Boss uses the same pump in all of their plows and they vary in weight and if you put wings on a 9 foot plow???

The weight does add ground pressure .
I just think you're added edge needs to be straight /even with the new edge you have.

Keep the backyard engineering ideas comming
To figure out how ground pressure is effected would require math, I will leave that for markO, he likes math. Just pointing out that it could effect ground pressure.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kimber....It will wear smooth....not worried about weight....the adjustment is the plow has 15 years of service and will sell it and buy a new one soon...or keep as back up...not sure..

The cutting into ice and getting under will be better as more weight as an edge is an edge....my thoughts....

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So no one has ever done this? I thought someone would have tried it

....I have been debating this in my head for a few...and I ask every welder in my home town....as we have a lot.....everybody welds here... Fabrication of truck beds, tanks, and more truck beds.....and water tankers....

The one welder said about welding bulldozer blades...its hardened steel and pushing ton boulders..

and One welder said just to stop being a "Farmer" and pay the money and forget about it...he is a millionaire...

also we turned the temperature up on the welder to get deep weld an that is what might weaken the steel......

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Kimber....It will wear smooth....not worried about weight....the adjustment is the plow has 15 years of service and will sell it and buy a new one soon...or keep as back up...not sure..

The cutting into ice and getting under will be better as more weight as an edge is an edge....my thoughts....
I doubt it will wear even since the edge is different thickness at different heights on the edge. Don't understand what you are saying about plow adjustment. Yes you may have added more weight but you also added more surface area to spread that weight across. So PSI could have gone down or up. Noticed you left out responding to the part about welding. Two little edge welds holding on a 20+ pound hunk of steel to the back of edge could end badly.

This is what we tried. Like I said no noticeable improvement in edge life.
This is on a 9.5' Fisher. 1/2" thick welded to outer edges.
Yellow Wood Gas Bumper Rectangle

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.