DOT/City/Town/County Rig Pics ???

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Newfie Plow, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

Those plows are in Genesee County Michigan. They took some good shots. I wish all DPWs and towns would do that!!

2. Plow Chaser

Here's a great one I found online. Obviously a snowplow in NY just by looking at the license plate, but one heck of a pic!

RYan

Paystar plowing snow.jpg

3. Plow Chaser

I just got back from spending the holidays in NY and caught quite a few good plow pics. Here are some!

Town of Frankfort plowing 22.jpg

NYS DOT small.jpg

4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Great Photos, do you remember me? I'm Jake (the owner of SnowplowingTheRoads87)

5. bolensdriver

6. Plow Chaser

Hey Jake, I do remember you. The yahoo club doesn't seem to get too much activity, so I tried this out here. Keep in touch man, I'd love to share photos and whatnot. TTYL

Ryan

7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Here's a really bad pic of a KsDot rig. Saw it in traffic so i whipped out my picture phone. It has a wing on it that you can't see in the pic. Enjoy...

KDOT.JPG

8. bolensdriver

some posts are missing for some reason in this thread?

9. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

That would be in Michigan. Flint, MI area...

10. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

How about some pics from Ontario's Road crews!!

11. bolensdriver

Good pics. Any accidents that day? I once saw a cop get rear ended.

12. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

The night before i was out and a little car forgot to turn all the way and jumped a median and struck an awaiting car in the side.

My neighbor got his truck stuck in his driveway and very close to a drop-off so i pulled him sideways and scored $10!!!! :bluebounc

13. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

How do these new state trucks spread sand with out the v-boxes...i saw a few today...they got 2 spinners on the sides...how does it get fed into them?

any pics?

14. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I believe those would be under-tailgate spreaders. Lift the bed up and it feeds the spreader...am I correct? I don't know much about spreaders.

15. Plow Chaser

Quite a few companies are making these spreaders now. Air-Flo, Tenco, and Viking are all making them. There is a conveyor built into the dump box in the middle or on the drivers side of the truck. It then draws it to an opening where it is dispensed onto the spinner. Many agencies use the ones on the drivers side of the truck because they give greater tractor by casting the sand or salt right under the drive wheels, and it also casts the material into both lanes of traffic versus a conventional spreader which places it directly behind the truck in the middle of one lane. CHeck out the photos I've attached.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

Spinner.jpg

Spinner set up.jpg

spinner on truck.jpg

16. Plow Chaser

17. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I snapped this one during our storm wed. night. Illinois Tollway Authority

snow 2 030.jpg

18. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

NYSDOT is using those new Viking sanders with front spinner, seem to work good. Years ago Frink tryed the same concept only the dump box tipped up forward, in fact neighboring town is still using one. They were a poor design, it threw off the center of gravity of the truck and you had to drive around with box raised, we had 2 of them for 2 years and got rid of them, actually one was destroyed when the truck rolled. Not one of Frinks better ideas.pretty tough to go wrong with a V box sander IMHO.

19. bolensdriver

Those Frink types are common in Maine quite a bit if I remember. I remember seeing many of them on my way there in a snow storm 10 years ago.

20. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

yes Frink sold alot of them(Frink was based about 18 miles from here), not sure why, but they did. Frink plows were the best in the industry for many years, but those type sanders were not good.