1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Do I still plow if a client hasn't mailed in the contract?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mister_snowplow, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. mister_snowplow

    mister_snowplow Senior Member
    Messages: 173

    I have a couple of clients who just haven't mailed in the signed contract. In all truth, I'm not sure if they are interested???? If there is enough snow to plow come tomorrow morning, should I plow their driveways, or should I wait to get the signed contract? I'm leaning on waiting...is this the right decision?

  2. Boast Enterpris

    Boast Enterpris Senior Member
    Messages: 745

    Unless you have made a verbal agreement with them, then I would wait. Try giving them a call after you take us a picture of the snow that is falling there! If you can't reach them or leave them a message, then wait till your finished with your route & give them a door visit! :waving:
  3. mister_snowplow

    mister_snowplow Senior Member
    Messages: 173

    Thanks for the help! Like I said, I'd love to be able to take a picture of the snow...I unfortunately don't have my digital camera with me right now. If it is still snowing tonight I'll take a picture and post it. Again, sorry.
  4. jt5019

    jt5019 Senior Member
    Messages: 853

    Im kinda in the same boat with two commercial accounts i have plowed the past two years.For some reason this year i have gotten no reply from them.One of them i even care for his home, so i figured he would get back to me pretty fast.I did raise the accounts a little bit this year but i dont think they would even care.Im not plowing for free so if i dont hear from them im just gonna hold off.I have a feeling they may call at the last minute asking where i am. :rolleyes:
  5. mister_snowplow

    mister_snowplow Senior Member
    Messages: 173

    Like you, I'm going to hold off till I get the signed contract. I gave them enough time to look it over and mail it back. They will call looking for me when it starts accumulating.

    Happy Plowing!!!!!
  6. DJL

    DJL Senior Member
    Messages: 343

    What's the point of giving them a contract if you are just going to go ahead and do it on the verbal agreement? You would just be undermining yourself. If your business has rules and regs, stick to 'um. You are making the right decision by waiting. My personal opinion...I wouldn't call them because they might take it as you are desperate for work. That'll give 'em a leg up. Just my 3 cents worth.
  7. mister_snowplow

    mister_snowplow Senior Member
    Messages: 173

    I'm going to wait till I get the signed contract...thanks! :waving:
  8. Luppy

    Luppy Senior Member
    Messages: 325

    Greetings from Randolph to Waltham.

    Rather than sitting around wondering, give these people a call to find out if they plan on signing the contract, especially now that it's going to be snowing. They'll most likely appreciate the fact that you did call and probably will sign it and have you pick it up before you do the work at their place. Open communications will get you everywhere and has nothing to do with appearing "desperate". G'luck up there in Waltham!

  9. streetsurfin'

    streetsurfin' Senior Member
    Messages: 770

    I agree with Michele. They may have lost their copy, been too busy, or sent it and it got lost in the mail. You never know, but it's worth a courtesy call. As for plowing before recieving it, I think that would depend on how well I knew and trusted each customer individually.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  10. DJL

    DJL Senior Member
    Messages: 343

    Everyone's entitled to their opinion. That is way way to look at it.
  11. DJL

    DJL Senior Member
    Messages: 343

    Excuse me "...one way to look at it."
  12. mister_snowplow

    mister_snowplow Senior Member
    Messages: 173

    Thanks for all of the good advice. It looks like we may not get enough to plow up here anyways. As it is it has already slowed down considerably. Maybe it will pick up again...I hope it does! :bluebounc
  13. Crumm

    Crumm Senior Member
    Messages: 529

    You say driveways? If it is just a little driveway I would plow it to show them that I am a dependable reputable plower. They might be thinking they signed it or that they had a verbal with you and when they get home to a driveway full of snow they will be calling someone else. If they decided against using you you would only be out a few minutes of plowing time. Now if it is a big lot or something that is going to take more than a few minutes I would get in touch with them before I dropped the plow.
  14. streetsurfin'

    streetsurfin' Senior Member
    Messages: 770

    I think the "appearing" desperate may come into play with some customers,however, my opinion was based on the way a former boss handled this exact situation. By giving an ultimatum which shows you are not desperate, but just trying to tie up loose ends, during that phone call, you should be able to keep the upper hand. Something like..."Since you missed the return deadline, if my route fills up before the contract is received, the price may be increased, IF I can still fit you in", or "In the event of snowfall prior to receipt of the contract, you will not be plowed", or "I am just calling to make sure I am released from the responsibility of doing your drive, or to explore the possibility that you did sign and send in the contract and it was lost in transit".
  15. jt5019

    jt5019 Senior Member
    Messages: 853

    Called both of mine today.One told me to go ahead and stake it he will be using me again this year. He just didnt have time to read everything over.I will be getting a signed contract next week.(never had a problem with him in two years so im not very worried about the contract).The second was away so its still up in the air.
  16. DJL

    DJL Senior Member
    Messages: 343


    I'd have to disagree with the "just showing up" What if you damage something on their property were you didn't have permission to be in the first place. I dunno, just seems like bigger trouble than what it's worth.
  17. QMVA

    QMVA Senior Member
    Messages: 431

    I have the feeling if you damage something it doesn't matter if you had permission or didn't they will still want you to repair the damage.
  18. The Boss

    The Boss 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,099

    Call and tell them that you need the contract to plow otherwise you are not obligated to do it.
  19. DeereGuy

    DeereGuy Senior Member
    Messages: 346

    I got my first Comm last year by rolling in and asking who did their plowing after the first 2 inch snowfall of the season. I had my plow on and told them truthfully that I had just mounted the plow and if they didn't mind could I work their lot a little to try out my new setup. I cleaned up the lot in an hour and the next day they signed the contract.This year I increased the contract amts. by 20% and they didn't blink.

    If it were me, I would stop by during reg rounds plowing to ask them if they would like to be cleared out and bring another copy of their contract. If you really want their job, I'm a believer in face to face negotiations. To confirm to them that you want them as clients but never back down on the price.

    Until the snow really flies most folks have more immediate problems on their minds and would like to be hand held through the contract signing process so you can point out any differences from past years with them having to use their brains.

    I have done this twice, successfully, this year. My excuse to stop and talk was geared around the thought that marking stakes need to be driven before the ground freezes and its getting cold early this year and basically I need the contract signed in order to proceed.