diesel vs gas

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bannor4952, Feb 25, 2008.

1. bannor4952

bannor4952 Junior Member

Hi i have a gas ford that i want to put next plow on but found a diesel ford (same style) and was wondering wich one would be better? Thanks

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

For plowing I would say go with the diesel unless it's the 6.0l

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Diesel if you can afford it gas if you cant. But be careful with ford diesels the last GOOD one made was the 7.3 the 05+ 6.0s are a decent motor. The new 6.4s are kind of a gamble they havent been around long enough to see how dependable they are really going to be.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to have to disagree with ya here ABES. My boss has an 05 f350 with the 6.oh no. 45k= some new injectors, high pressure line(s) on motor, and some other little stuff.

5. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I have a 01 with the 7.3 and you can push snow so much eaiser with the diesel also it doesnt use as much fuel as a gas motor. I use to plow with a gas truck and I was filling that up 2 to 3 times a night and I can plow for 24 hours and not use a complete tank. just my 2 cents

6. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

Agree with ABES. Diesel if you can afford it.
    7.3 if you can find one. I have 2 of these on the road and plowed with my 2004 a little bit last year.

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Right thats why i said DECENT they arent all that great but there a lot better than the 03-04 6.0s.

8. OP
    OP
    bannor4952

bannor4952 Junior Member

hey thanks guys for all the info

9. chevykid

chevykid Member

need to get a duramax if u realy wana get the job done lol

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I would go diesel if you can afford to. Stay away from the 03 and 04 6.0 Ford diesels. 2005 and later were ok.

11. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I plowed with a diesel truck the last storm we had here on Long Island last friday. I was in the truck for 3 hours (2006 F-350 with the 6.0) and found the noise and diesel exhaust smell annoying. I was getting nautious from the exhaust with the window open. I was happy to get back in my Bronco to finish.
    But thats just my .02.

12. stroker

stroker Junior Member

I thought fumes would be a problem before I bought an 03 f350 with a 7.3 since I always have the window down but it never is. There's been more noise and fumes from a few tired old gassers I've used in the past,,,,:lol

13. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I don't even notice the fumes..and the newer diesels are alot quieter than the older ones.
    I am also having my share of issues with my 6.0...

14. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you didnt just say that, i LOVE the smell of diesel fuel, diesel exhust and the sound, is amazing. i have a 4" turbo back mbrp exhaust on my 7.3 and oh good golly mrs molly does it sound goooooooooooooooooood. oh and if you can get a late 99 to 03 7.3 i have an early 99 build b4 3/99 (mine was made 4/98) and its just annoying with brakes, front axle on a one ton is a dana 50 unlike hte lats which are dana 60's.

15. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, there bad a$%.

16. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Mike i thought that was the best part. :nod: Between the smell of the diesel and the noise of the engine, what else can you ask for?

17. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I've got an 05 2500HD, it pushes some snow. Kinda wish it was a diesel, but I can't complain

18. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Id love a diesel (With 5" stacks) but cant afford one, yet.

19. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

Every truck I own is diesel and I will never buy a gas job again.
    Example: My 04 Dodge ram diesel averages 18+ mpg city, 24+ mpg hiway. I rented a brand new Nissan Titan a few weeks ago, I drove 40 miles and burned through 1/4 tank of fuel. I was horrified, I 'm used to going 400+ miles on a tank of fuel.
    I was getting 19mpg hiway last week with a 8'6" stainless V plow, stainless dump insert w/ downeaster tailgate sander and a yard of salt on board, that's efficiency.

20. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Other then lower fuel prices and no more emmission crap on the engine,,, NOTHING IMOpayup:gunsfiring::D