• Vaccine Priority For Essential Snow & Ice Workers?
    Concerned about COVID-19 and/or potential labor shortages? Click here for a letter to health departments from SIMA emphasizing your priority for the COVID vaccine as an "essential" worker.

diesel vs gas

ABES

PlowSite.com Addict
Diesel if you can afford it gas if you cant. But be careful with ford diesels the last GOOD one made was the 7.3 the 05+ 6.0s are a decent motor. The new 6.4s are kind of a gamble they havent been around long enough to see how dependable they are really going to be.

Mark13

PlowSite Fanatic
ABES;527997 said:
05+ 6.0s are a decent motor.
I'm going to have to disagree with ya here ABES. My boss has an 05 f350 with the 6.oh no. 45k= some new injectors, high pressure line(s) on motor, and some other little stuff.

Wieckster

I have a 01 with the 7.3 and you can push snow so much eaiser with the diesel also it doesnt use as much fuel as a gas motor. I use to plow with a gas truck and I was filling that up 2 to 3 times a night and I can plow for 24 hours and not use a complete tank. just my 2 cents

ABES

PlowSite.com Addict
Mark13;528206 said:
I'm going to have to disagree with ya here ABES. My boss has an 05 f350 with the 6.oh no. 45k= some new injectors, high pressure line(s) on motor, and some other little stuff.
Right thats why i said DECENT they arent all that great but there a lot better than the 03-04 6.0s.

L.I.Mike

I plowed with a diesel truck the last storm we had here on Long Island last friday. I was in the truck for 3 hours (2006 F-350 with the 6.0) and found the noise and diesel exhaust smell annoying. I was getting nautious from the exhaust with the window open. I was happy to get back in my Bronco to finish.
But thats just my .02.

stroker

L.I.Mike;529479 said:
I plowed with a diesel truck the last storm we had here on Long Island last friday. I was in the truck for 3 hours (2006 F-350 with the 6.0) and found the noise and diesel exhaust smell annoying. I was getting nautious from the exhaust with the window open. I was happy to get back in my Bronco to finish.
But thats just my .02.
I thought fumes would be a problem before I bought an 03 f350 with a 7.3 since I always have the window down but it never is. There's been more noise and fumes from a few tired old gassers I've used in the past,,,,:lol

rjfetz1

I don't even notice the fumes..and the newer diesels are alot quieter than the older ones.
I am also having my share of issues with my 6.0...

duff daddy

L.I.Mike;529479 said:
But thats just my .02.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you didnt just say that, i LOVE the smell of diesel fuel, diesel exhust and the sound, is amazing. i have a 4" turbo back mbrp exhaust on my 7.3 and oh good golly mrs molly does it sound goooooooooooooooooood. oh and if you can get a late 99 to 03 7.3 i have an early 99 build b4 3/99 (mine was made 4/98) and its just annoying with brakes, front axle on a one ton is a dana 50 unlike hte lats which are dana 60's.

Quality SR

PlowSite.com Addict
L.I.Mike;529479 said:
But thats just my .02.
Mike i thought that was the best part. :nod: Between the smell of the diesel and the noise of the engine, what else can you ask for?

BulldogPS

Every truck I own is diesel and I will never buy a gas job again.
Example: My 04 Dodge ram diesel averages 18+ mpg city, 24+ mpg hiway. I rented a brand new Nissan Titan a few weeks ago, I drove 40 miles and burned through 1/4 tank of fuel. I was horrified, I 'm used to going 400+ miles on a tank of fuel.
I was getting 19mpg hiway last week with a 8'6" stainless V plow, stainless dump insert w/ downeaster tailgate sander and a yard of salt on board, that's efficiency.

J&R Landscaping

PlowSite.com Addict
Quality SR;536555 said:
Mike i thought that was the best part. :nod: Between the smell of the diesel and the noise of the engine, what else can you ask for?
Other then lower fuel prices and no more emmission crap on the engine,,, NOTHING IMOpayup:gunsfiring::D