diesel fuel conditioner

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I use stanadyne blue label diesel fuel supplement. The atf was for the older diesels, I dont think they recommend using it.
Dino

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
Winter works,I use deisel treat 2000,by Shaeffers,is that what you use? the only difference is the 2000 has winterizer in it for cold weather antigelling.The shaeffers is the top of the line,if not the best deisel treatment out there IMHO.

thelawnguy

PlowSite.com Addict
Originally posted by Winterworks
I have also heard of adding auto transmission fluid to the fuel. Does anyone do that?
Back when, when taxed OTR fuel was dyed red, you would add ATF to nontaxed fuel to give it the red tint. Now that the colors have changed its not necessary anymore ;)

DaveK

Back when, when taxed OTR fuel was dyed red
In Michigan the off-road fuel is dyed red. So adding ATF could get you a huge fine.

I have also heard of guys mixing in a little kerosene.
A little kerosene or even a little gasoline will help prevent gelling, and even help after the fuel has gelled (for those that have that happen). Both are basically deisel fuel that has been refined even futher.

I wouldn't use more than about a half gallon per 20 gallons of deisel.

I heard that ATF cleans injectors?
I wouldn't use ATF at all. It has too many additives. Some of which are to increase friction.

Last edited:

cgthoman

conditioner

I have a 93 chevy with 222300 mls on it. I've been using Diesel Fuel Supplement, and swithced to Lucas, available at Napa. I started using both the oil and fuel additive. I've gained almost 5 miles per gal. It was recommended to me from a farm diesel mechanic.:) Atf cleans injectors, I was told no more than one quart per 30 gals. of fuel. Never tried it.

Last edited:

cgthoman

conditioner

I have a 93 chevy with 222300 mls on it. I've been using Diesel Fuel Supplement, and swithced to Lucas, available at Napa. I started using both the oil and fuel additive. I've gained almost 5 miles per gal. It was recommended to me from a farm diesel mechanic.:)