Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been discussed many times and there never seems to be a clear answer.

Anyone know of someone that does it?

I need to replace a truck 6 months ago. Stupidity on my part. Truck I'm looking for seems to be a unicorn...under CDL, air brakes and 3000 Series Allison with a PTO. I'm not finding anything out there and new trucks are unbelievably expensive and take forever to build. So I'm trying to find someone who will derate a CDL class truck.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
I don't know for sure, but this would be the first place I would call and ask.

http://www.monroetruck.com/

Just judging by the hand written GVWR stickers on all of our trucks that have utility boxes on them, it would seem that for some reason they might have the ability to do so?

I could be way wrong too?
I believe that is only the case for a new cab and chassis delivered to an upfitter that installs the body and then determines the GVWR at that time prior to first sale. I don't think it can be done after the fact.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try. I emailed their local dealer because they've done a lot of work for us.

Also checked with another upfitter.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that is only the case for a new cab and chassis delivered to an upfitter that installs the body and then determines the GVWR at that time prior to first sale. I don't think it can be done after the fact.
What if I add another axle to a used truck? Or a tag axle?

I don't know, but I know those things happen.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
What if I add another axle to a used truck? Or a tag axle?

I don't know, but I know those things happen.
Not sure - so far as I know, that would not change the GVW. The GVW factors in frame, engine, transmission, etc. so just adding an axle does not automatically up the GVW anymore than changing springs, tires, etc would. I could be wrong though.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure - so far as I know, that would not change the GVW. The GVW factors in frame, engine, transmission, etc. so just adding an axle does not automatically up the GVW anymore than changing springs, tires, etc would. I could be wrong though.
I buy a truck with a 33k GVWR and add another axle with duals at say 20k rating and it doesn't change the GVWR?

You sure?

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been told by one upfitter that it is no longer possible...GVWR are tied to VINs and vice versa. Or whatever.

Not sure how that works for upfitters like Monroe. Really not sure why it matters other than another little bit of freedom lost.

· Registered
18,088 Posts
I find this whole topic rather interesting.

When I ordered a new enclosed trailer a few weeks ago, I had (2) 7k axles put under it. The salesman asked me if I wanted it de-rated to under 10k. It would still be a 14k trailer as build, but the tag would say 10k :confused:

So it is ok on a trailer, but not ok on a truck. :confused:

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts

When I ordered a new enclosed trailer a few weeks ago, I had (2) 7k axles put under it. The salesman asked me if I wanted it de-rated to under 10k. It would still be a 14k trailer as build, but the tag would say 10k :confused:

It's ok on a trailer because the trailer was new. The word "new" is the key. If you opted to keep it at 14k, registered it, then changed your mind, you're screwed.

Before the trailer is sold, the manufacturer can set the GVW at whatever they feel is appropriate. After it's sold, the only reason you would change it is the skirt the CDL laws.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's ok on a trailer because the trailer was new. The word "new" is the key. If you opted to keep it at 14k, registered it, then changed your mind, you're screwed.

Before the trailer is sold, the manufacturer can set the GVW at whatever they feel is appropriate. After it's sold, the only reason you would change it is the skirt the CDL laws.
But why if I want to make it lower? It's not that it's unsafe or creating a liability.

This tells me it's about the money. Whether it be about requiring a CDL or higher registration, it's all about the money.

One thing I read was there's a higher tax on trucks rated over 40K so people would derate them to 33k.

Friggin government.

PS The main reason is obviously the CDL, but just for grins, I took an online Tanker endorsement test. 12 questions, I got 1 wrong. Never looked at the manual. So basically any moron (me) can pass it.

· Registered
18,088 Posts

What does new have to do with it? It is a 14k trailer, I built it to be a 14k trailer, how can a manufacturer say Bibitty Bopity Boo this 14k trailer is now a 10k...

The only reason that you would pay to make a trailer a 14k trailer then have a tag installed on the side is to skirt the CDL laws new or not new... Why not build it for 14k and rate it for 5k so you don't even need to go threw the safety lane?

· Registered
17,111 Posts

Just don't get weighed at 14000, and registered at ten. Around here they will get the scales out.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
What does new have to do with it? It is a 14k trailer, I built it to be a 14k trailer, how can a manufacturer say Bibitty Bopity Boo this 14k trailer is now a 10k...

The only reason that you would pay to make a trailer a 14k trailer then have a tag installed on the side is to skirt the CDL laws new or not new... Why not build it for 14k and rate it for 5k so you don't even need to go threw the safety lane?
Because it's within the manufacturer's right to set the GVW. It doesn't mean it's more legal to derate it, just that "The Man" can't stop them from doing it without "The Man" somehow deciding the correct GVW for every past and future trailer to be built outside of the manufacturer.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only thing I can see they could say with that would be that you are driving a bigger truck so it handles different, so said driver might should have a higher level of training.
Yeah...a 26k truck handles much different than a 28k truck.

I think it's the money.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.