Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I are debating building a barndominimium to live in with an attached shop to store equipment. I was thinking a 60x60 shop, but am wondering if that is overkill? I'm currently a small operation now with an enclosed trailer, plow truck, commercial mower, aerator, etc. But I'd like to scale and and a skid loader/trailer, etc.

Just trying to get an idea for how much space I'll need. TIA.

Registered
Cheaper to go longer than it is to go wider.
Wider truss span = $$.
Check your local building code if you're in town, some have banned these type of construction.

Registered
Wife and I are debating building a barndominimium to live in with an attached shop to store equipment. I was thinking a 60x60 shop, but am wondering if that is overkill? I'm currently a small operation now with an enclosed trailer, plow truck, commercial mower, aerator, etc. But I'd like to scale and and a skid loader/trailer, etc.

Just trying to get an idea for how much space I'll need. TIA.
How big are you thinking for the living quarter and how tall will the walls be?
60X60 will fill up quick with the equipment you currently have and suggest going to 60X100 with 16' walls at a minimum.

Registered
I'd consider 2 smaller buildings. One could be done cheap for storage. Other done really nice for house/garage.

Registered
40x120, make sure you can either add on in the future or add another building, don forget covered outside bins for material, salt, soil, mulch

Registered
Separate the concrete pour on the floors.

Anyone that has an office that shares the same space as their shop knows what I am talking about. Every wrench or part that hits the floor will resonate inside your house.

60x60... you will amazed how fast that will be full
Also, if the shop isn't heated and cooled, there should be a thermal break.
You'll also get condensation because of the temperature difference.

Registered
The same is true with an attached garage.

They could both be in one building with separate entrances to avoid this.
could be, could be some people don鈥檛 care and they鈥檒l still cast bullets at the kitchen table 鈥
But most pole building/ house builds they don鈥檛 put a separate bathroom in the shop area and then on the second floor they usually put windows from the living area to the shop area.
I think the concern changes when you go from a casual homeowner in a attached garage as compared to somebody running a business it of it.

A exhaust system/air exchange system.

Wouldn鈥檛 the garage doors &man doors be a separate entrance or are you saying the wall between the two of them should be solid and you would have to go outside and then re-enter to go into the living area?

Registered
could be, could be some people don鈥檛 care and they鈥檒l still cast bullets at the kitchen table 鈥
But most pole building/ house builds they don鈥檛 put a separate bathroom in the shop area and then on the second floor they usually put windows from the living area to the shop area.
I think the concern changes when you go from a casual homeowner in a attached garage as compared to somebody running a business it of it.

A exhaust system/air exchange system.

Wouldn鈥檛 the garage doors &man doors be a separate entrance or are you saying the wall between the two of them should be solid and you would have to go outside and then re-enter to go into the living area?
Yes, solid wall without doors to the shop.
Even an exterior fire rated door wouldn't stop everything from entering the house.
Most people with attached garages don't notice it because they are just running their cars with the overhead door open for a couple minutes.
As you mentioned, a shop that you're working in is different.
Typically, there is a positive pressure in the house, which helps, but we've done blower door testing and there's some leakage when there's negative pressure in the house.
I guess if someone is dead set on entering the shop from the house without going outside, a vestibule between the two would help.
And yes, if you have enough exhaust in the shop to create a negative pressure, it would help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts