• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

DEADBEAT CLIENT

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Restaurants and bars have been the worst affected by COVID and somewhat understandable why they're late paying you. They're more than likely paying suppliers that are crucial to the day to day business and puts you to the back of the buss.
If they've been a good customer and you've had them for a while I'd suggest you try to work with them to get current.
The whole covid thing is screwing these guys hard. Last season I waived my local diners last payment, it was a $2k payment.
To watch them go from being busy all the time to closed doors without having any fault or say in the matter is hard to watch, they employ some great people.
I agree a conversation needs to take place and the tone of that conversation on both sides will warrant whether or not it needs to be litigious. I doubt it, you already suggested they are "slow pay" not "no pay" and they have been clients awhile.

Last edited:

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
Deadbeats.

There are a millions of sad stories.
And your company could become one of them.

I’m surprised we haven’t heard more stories of customers from residential to commercial who haven’t been paying .

Run down and file a small claims, when they get the notice in the mail I’m sure you’ll have their attention. Because if things are going that bad There will be other people standing in line waiting to get paid also.

jonniesmooth

2000 Club Member
We just had our attorney write a notice of lease violation,termination letter.
I'll be happy to let you know what it cost when the bill comes.

Non communication is worse than non payment.

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
The whole covid thing is screwing these guys hard. Last season I waived my local diners last payment, it was a $2k payment.
To watch them go from being busy all the time to closed doors without having any fault or say in the matter is hard to watch, they employ some great people.
I agree a conversation needs to take place and the tone of that conversation on both sides will warrant whether or not it needs to be litigious. I doubt it, you already suggested they are "slow pay" not "no pay" and they have been clients awhile.
I plow a small dinner, probably is into me after today for about a thousand, which I no is very little. He is barely making ends meet. The covid, or really the Goverment has killed the dinner/restaurant trade. So we are trading things off. Anyone one want to go to breakfast? To the OP, if you are concerned, if per your contract you can stop service, then do it if thats the road you want to take.

BadMechanic

Its just concerning that they havent made any attempt to contact and try to find a payment that works. Instead, hope you dont notice and they skate by longer.

Go get em, Tiger.

jonniesmooth

2000 Club Member
I plow a small dinner, probably is into me after today for about a thousand, which I no is very little. He is barely making ends meet. The covid, or really the Goverment has killed the dinner/restaurant trade. So we are trading things off. Anyone one want to go to breakfast? To the OP, if you are concerned, if per your contract you can stop service, then do it if thats the road you want to take.
It's the communication that's critical.
I lost my biggest winter account this year.
Well, not really.
It's a long story.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Its just concerning that they havent made any attempt to contact and try to find a payment that works. Instead, hope you dont notice and they skate by longer.

Go get em, Tiger.
To be clear the communication on their part sucks. On the flip side invoices for lawn care and snow removal takes the back seat to paying your supply chain. Withoot a supply chain for items that generate income daily the other invoice take a back seat until the squeaky wheel speaks up. Imo both party's appear to be at fault for not being proactive.

Kinport

Maybe I missed this, but what have your collection efforts looked like so far? Have you called and spoken with your contact for the company and let them know you haven’t seen a check? It’s very possible the check got lost, the invoice never got to the right person, or any number of other things that can happen at the corporate level that would prevent you from receiving a check, as opposed to them simply refusing to pay you. Many of our clients are chains and we send invoices to a corporate office in another state and there’s been a number of times where someone on their end dropped the ball and our check never got sent. A few minutes on the phone might resolve all of this.

BUFF

PlowSite Fanatic
Maybe I missed this, but what have your collection efforts looked like so far? Have you called and spoken with your contact for the company and let them know you haven’t seen a check? It’s very possible the check got lost, the invoice never got to the right person, or any number of other things that can happen at the corporate level that would prevent you from receiving a check, as opposed to them simply refusing to pay you. Many of our clients are chains and we send invoices to a corporate office in another state and there’s been a number of times where someone on their end dropped the ball and our check never got sent. A few minutes on the phone might resolve all of this.
No disrespect to the OP but in his part of the country to path typically taken is to fester abbot things then sue or take a few pounds of hide to get paid rather than drawing a line in the sand and try to work towards a solution that works for both parties.
I could and probably waaaay off base by saying that since things are a little difference t ootwest and I try to think the best.

racer47

when it snows put them- their sites on back burner, drive right by. do who is paying the bills ,when they call you ,tell them that they are way behind on their end and you will get to them after your paying customers get done, if you have time and any gas or salt left .been their before .worked for me

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
No disrespect to the OP but in his part of the country to path typically taken is to fester abbot things then sue or take a few pounds of hide to get paid rather than drawing a line in the sand and try to work towards a solution that works for both parties.
I could and probably waaaay off base by saying that since things are a little difference t ootwest and I try to think the best.
So apparently the OP could take the time to post and complain but not call the customer...unless I missed him answering this question that was axed of him several times.

I don't understand that in the slightest...it isn't like we're going to pay him for the work he did for them. Do we all complain about late or non-payers? Sure...but how many of us have already exhausted the options to get paid? Before posting about it.

Midwest, Oot West, etc. People are different. Sure wouldn't start a thread about an alleged deadbeat client without talking to them first. So many good points have been made...invoice not to the right person, lost check, heck with the number of people working from home due to the Covid, any number of things could have happened. In addition to getting screwed over by stupid governors that are trying to kill small biznesses.

I'm thankful that we can work at 100%, can't even imagine these restaurants trying to survive on takeout and/or 25-50% capacity. And then these idiot politicians still wanting their property taxes paid in full, etc.

OP....CALL THEM.

Mudly

So apparently the OP could take the time to post and complain but not call the customer...unless I missed him answering this question that was axed of him several times.

I don't understand that in the slightest...it isn't like we're going to pay him for the work he did for them. Do we all complain about late or non-payers? Sure...but how many of us have already exhausted the options to get paid? Before posting about it.

Midwest, Oot West, etc. People are different. Sure wouldn't start a thread about an alleged deadbeat client without talking to them first. So many good points have been made...invoice not to the right person, lost check, heck with the number of people working from home due to the Covid, any number of things could have happened. In addition to getting screwed over by stupid governors that are trying to kill small biznesses.

I'm thankful that we can work at 100%, can't even imagine these restaurants trying to survive on takeout and/or 25-50% capacity. And then these idiot politicians still wanting their property taxes paid in full, etc.

OP....CALL THEM.
So we can close this duplicate thread then?

Chineau

waiting for dinner to be delivered couple beers read most of this, send them an interest statement you owe x plus interest. you have a credit card, you don't pay you pay more.
this will generate a phone call " I did not agree to interest, yes and I did not agree to finance your winters snow clearing."
after you have sent the statement you might consider phoning to confirm they have received it, my experience has been they start to call when it costs more.
I get aggressive about this, I pay my bills and taxes it is not an unreasonable expectation for others to perform the same.
get em.

Luther

PlowSite Veteran
When I'm done with owing and salting I'll look when I get back to my office, not sure why you think that I don't have a contract but I don't do business without one, I have different contracts for different residential and commercial properties there no way I can remember
Why are you complaining and posting about a deadbeat client who is 65 days past due while you are out plowing and salting? Why are you continuing to service them? Why don’t you know your contracts? You might want to re-evaluate your account management skills, and your lack of communication to the client.

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
I am a very small truck repair business, but I do some repairs for a very large freight company, just got some invoices straightened out from last September. The invoice numbers and the POs did not match, now I can't see that on my end, but it took me quite a few E mails to get it resolved. The point is you have to reach out and communicate with the customer, just stewing about it will get you nowhere.

fireside

PlowSite.com Addict
My contracts call for 15 day payments for snow 30 you are late. I send another bill is late fees so on. At 40 days another letter breach of contract letter sent certified mail with 5 days to respond at that point all services terminated. Just a word of caution in my state you need to give them 5 days to respond prior to termination of contracts. If you don’t service in those days you are still liable for injuries from neglect

Chineau

well that should be theft of service
any body any where know where that is actually law?
a couple years ago person tried to beat me for 75 dollars, I went down to the local r.c.m.p and said hey this person hired me for x work and no pay. officer say I'm not sure there is a law but I will take your statement and then speak to the person about theft of service charge. long story short they paid, if you get a good cop and have your ducks in a row it might work.