Daniels pull plow problem

I have a Daniels pull plow that looses down pressure. When I drop it, and start to drag away the blade relaxes a bit and I loose the nice clean drag. Any thoughts?

It started after I used it on a 18 home condo complex with a slight grade down to street level. I then noticed it leaking fluid out of the cap and no longer keeps good contact on pavement.

It's so bothersome that I removed the plow from the truck. If it wont clean nice, then its just in the way. Really disappointing but I cant figure it out. I removed both pump valves and everything looked good to me. O rings in tact, no debris, etc..
 
Last edited:

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
Tough to tell with how you describe it. Are you sure the bolts holding the main hitch unit are tight? The ones that allow you to raise or lower the entire bracket holding the cylinder. Or maybe the bolts that attach the 2 arms to the plow could be loose? Or you have a bad cylinder? Or you have a leaky or loose fitting hose? Or something clogging the filter in the pump?
 
OP
M

mark268

Member
All bolts are tight on everything. No leaks on any hoses, fittings or cylinders. Fluid seems to be back pressuring out of the cap (common) then leaking out of the pump box onto the truck and mount. I dont know that the leak has anything to do with my problems.

The blade seems to "ride up" as I drive forward. I am forced to maintain down pressure using the switch.
 

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
Is it new? Has it ever worked correctly? I've had my 2 Daniels for a long time and have never had this happen. It makes me think something is not installed correctly( like the hoses are reversed or a valve is not functioning properly. I'm no expert, but I'm trying to help you. Also, I've had fluid come out of the cap a couple times, but only because it was to full. I don't think that should happen if it's not over filled.
 

ALC-GregH

PlowSite.com Addict
Location
pa
Would it be possible to call the manufacturer and see what they say? I'd imagine they could figure out what is wrong or give you some advice on diagnosing the problem.

For the life of me, I can't understand why guys come on a public forum and ask questions that could be directly answered by the company who made the product. I bet if the OP calls them, they would be of much more help and chances are, he'd have it fixed WAY before anyone could diagnose the problem on a public forum.
 
Last edited:

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
ALC-GregH;1720235 said:
Would it be possible to call the manufacturer and see what they say? I'd imagine they could figure out what is wrong or give you some advice on diagnosing the problem.

For the life of me, I can't understand why guys come on a public forum and ask questions that could be directly answered by the company who made the product. I bet if the OP calls them, they would be of much more help and chances are, he'd have it fixed WAY before anyone could diagnose the problem on a public forum.

I understand your point, but sometimes people have had the exact same issue and know a quick fix. Plus it's Sunday and nobody is around. Never hurts to ask.
 
OP
M

mark268

Member
ALC-GregH;1720235 said:
Would it be possible to call the manufacturer and see what they say? I'd imagine they could figure out what is wrong or give you some advice on diagnosing the problem.

For the life of me, I can't understand why guys come on a public forum and ask questions that could be directly answered by the company who made the product. I bet if the OP calls them, they would be of much more help and chances are, he'd have it fixed WAY before anyone could diagnose the problem on a public forum.


One would have to expect this type of post. Yes, I have talked with Daniels. They gave me the "Huh... we have never had this problem before, cant help you" answer. I have not called Monarch yet but, dont imagine that being of any help.

The system is not new, but in relativly good condition. It was working perfectly before I used it on my condo's which have a small decline to street level. What I found was that as the truck would level out on the street and the blade was still on the decline, it would make a loud "squeel" type noise as the blade would be forced up while having downpressure activated.

I figured I blew out an O-Ring on one of the valves but everything looked perfect.

I'm trying to not just throw $$ at this thing and was hoping maybe someone else had a similar problem themselves. Maybe give me some direction.

Those that say "SEARCH", "CALL MANUFACTURER" etc.. I have done all the above. Posting is my last resort.
 

road2damascus

PlowSite.com Addict
I have the same exact problem. I am experienced with Daniels pull plows. I brought it to a Daniels back blade expert. I mean that! He is the best. And he sent the unit back to Monarch. Sorry, no short cuts.
 

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
mark268;1720263 said:
One would have to expect this type of post. Yes, I have talked with Daniels. They gave me the "Huh... we have never had this problem before, cant help you" answer. I have not called Monarch yet but, dont imagine that being of any help.

The system is not new, but in relativly good condition. It was working perfectly before I used it on my condo's which have a small decline to street level. What I found was that as the truck would level out on the street and the blade was still on the decline, it would make a loud "squeel" type noise as the blade would be forced up while having downpressure activated.

I figured I blew out an O-Ring on one of the valves but everything looked perfect.

I'm trying to not just throw $$ at this thing and was hoping maybe someone else had a similar problem themselves. Maybe give me some direction.

Those that say "SEARCH", "CALL MANUFACTURER" etc.. I have done all the above. Posting is my last resort.

So if you were to activate it down with the truck on flat ground would it jack the truck and hold it there? Or would it not have any down pressure? Or do you have to hold the switch to keep down pressure.
 
OP
M

mark268

Member
WIPensFan;1720282 said:
So if you were to activate it down with the truck on flat ground would it jack the truck and hold it there? Or would it not have any down pressure? Or do you have to hold the switch to keep down pressure.

It will lift truck and hold it... Until I drive forward. It will then rekax. Doesn't conpletely go into a "float" type relax and bounce around, just enough to not scrape as it should. In order to retain any pressure I need to either hold the switch or keep tapping it.
 

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
mark268;1720315 said:
It will lift truck and hold it... Until I drive forward. It will then rekax. Doesn't conpletely go into a "float" type relax and bounce around, just enough to not scrape as it should. In order to retain any pressure I need to either hold the switch or keep tapping it.

When you took the valves out to inspect them, did you make them function by pressing them in and out with a small tool of some kind? It seems like a valve is sticking open or partially open.
 

Mike NY

Senior Member
Location
zone 5
It sounds as though there is a pressure relief valve not holding the full weight of your truck, maybe damaged after doing condo drives with slope. I would start there and or double check that.
 

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
Damn. Well, you could always check the control switch inside to make sure no wires are touching or messing up normal function. That was said in the manual, I don't know what else to tell you. Like was said before it could be the entire pump but I hope that's not the case. Sorry.
 

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Location
Southern WI
Mike NY;1720330 said:
It sounds as though there is a pressure relief valve not holding the full weight of your truck, maybe damaged after doing condo drives with slope. I would start there and or double check that.

I do know there is a pressure relief valve on there, I've had it apart and you need a small telescoping magnet to pull the screw and ball out. I can't remember where it is or how I did it. I think it's on the same block the valves are on. Anyway it wasn't the problem I was having...I had a bad cylinder that kept drifting down.
 

snoworks1

Senior Member
Location
Hawthorn Woods
If fluid is coming out of the cap, it is most likely a water issue. I have had this happen before to several of my units. You need to drain the system completely and put in new fluid. I typically will change the fluid twice to clean it out.

Over time water does find its way into the system.

One way easy way to flush the system is to take one end of the hydrolic hoses off and operate the unit. Rinse and repeat. Do the other end. Rinse and repeat. Let me know what kind of a difference it makes.
 

snoworks1

Senior Member
Location
Hawthorn Woods
I have had many Daniels unit over the years. If the plow/pump is older there might be a valve problem or maybe just a o ring issue. The old valves used to stick a lot, the tolerances used to be very tight. I have not had a valve issue with any of my newer plows. You might have a bad o-ring that is leaking. My experience with the valves is that they either get stuck open or closed, and once you take them out and use a hole punch and work the valve open and closed using some wd or similar, they should be good to go.

Quick question, when you operate the plow up and down and you open up the fill cap is the fluid foamy?
 

snoworks1

Senior Member
Location
Hawthorn Woods
List, in order, on what to check based on your descriptions.

1.) Fliud*
2.) O-Ring
3.) Cylinder*
4.) Valves
5.) Pump

My guess is its the fluid and or the cylinder.
 

Top Forums

Similar threads

Similar threads

Top