Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here... maybe this isn't the right spot for this, sorry if it is. New to truck plowing, always used an ATV. Working on putting an older meyer plow on my woods truck ('05 f150) and i reallly Need to keep clearance as high as possible with the plow off. I'd like to go ahead and fab up a skid plate/crawler bumper that incorporates plow mounting ears and the pump support. Something like a big boy version of this...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...A27CJQqpi9AAUpLxb1F0EBsoNox50FToaAiFmEALw_wcB.

Anyone done anything similar? Disadvantages of tucking the plow under the truck as much as possible?

Bonus points for roasting the noob for using a 1/2 ton to plow...

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Need to keep clearance as high as possible with the plow off.
Most plows need to have 12-16?? Of ground clearance to the center of mounting.
The plows' A frame needs to be as level as possible.
If you need height, might have to do custom custom fab.....or look into different options.

· Premium Member
17,043 Posts
If I am understanding you right, you want to move the plow mount further under the truck. You can't though. The mounts are invariably engineered to put the tower within a few inches of the bumper/grill/etc. Moving it back any further would result in either the plow not going on at all, or it would crash into the truck.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Yes. It will be alot of custom fab. Maybe rmovable plow mount that pins into a custom skid plate err something.
If its gunna be that much work/time, its gunna be better and cheaper in the long run to just get a dedicated plow truck....imo

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I am understanding you right, you want to move the plow mount further under the truck. You can't though. The mounts are invariably engineered to put the tower within a few inches of the bumper/grill/etc. Moving it back any further would result in either the plow not going on at all, or it would crash into the truck.
I was only going to move the a frame attachment closer to the axle, leave the plow out near the bumper or where the bumper used to be. So lift may be limited by the new angle even then , eh?

· Registered
14,949 Posts
K, actually nvm. You guys want a custom high clearance plow frame build thread on this forum? Or just have a moderator obliterate my account rn.
Sounds like you want your cake and eat it to.

Well sometimes you cant have that in a dual purpose truck.
You want high ground clearance.....
You wanna move back mounting points..

Well plow manufacturers design these mouths to work with dot and ntsa standards. Not many pple need to fab up different points of attachment, so not many answers here.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Hey op, wouldnt it be easier to buy a new f250 and a boss plow? Then you can keep your cool off road woods truck in the woods"

"Hey op, its really fun and an excellent use of time and energy to take the entire plow hoop and pump off when u wanna go in the woods "

"But why tho"

I suppose op should have specified more clearly, hes doing a custom skid plate mount and wants to know if its been done before. And if changing distance between the front axle and the ENTIRE PLOW ASSEMLY will affect anything with plow performance, as hes already made the clearance and obviously makes the truck more compact and takes leverage off the front end

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well plow manufacturers design these mouths to work with dot and ntsa standards. Not many pple need to fab up different points of attachment, so not many answers here.
I asked if anyone wants that build thread here, so that MAYBE someone else could work off ops design when they have similar needs. This is an offroad truck, that doesnt need to meet any standards, other than it has to work, well. And if not, im not wasting my time uploading pics and doing write ups.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

And hells yes i want my cake and eat it too. I'll bake two.

· Registered
1,995 Posts
I asked if anyone wants that build thread here, so that MAYBE someone else could work off ops design when they have similar needs. This is an offroad truck, that doesnt need to meet any standards, other than it has to work, well. And if not, im not wasting my time uploading pics and doing write ups.
I don't see that anywhere in your posts. I thought you were asking for help/ideas in doing it.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
Reactions: cwren2472

· Registered
17,086 Posts
"Hey op, wouldnt it be easier to buy a new f250 and a boss plow? Then you can keep your cool off road woods truck in the woods"

"Hey op, its really fun and an excellent use of time and energy to take the entire plow hoop and pump off when u wanna go in the woods "

"But why tho"

I suppose op should have specified more clearly, hes doing a custom skid plate mount and wants to know if its been done before. And if changing distance between the front axle and the ENTIRE PLOW ASSEMLY will affect anything with plow performance, as hes already made the clearance and obviously makes the truck more compact and takes leverage off the front end
I'm all for watching a guy build his own.

What will the plow side look like?
Your going to have to have the plowframe
At the same orientation as a stock configuration

I home built a couple Custom plow frames you'll learn a lot your first couple times.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm all for watching a guy build his own.

What will the plow side look like?
Your going to have to have the plowframe
At the same orientation as a stock configuration

I home built a couple Custom plow frames you'll learn a lot your first couple times.
Thank you sir, i am hoping to be able to keep the same orientation , the plow side will use the standard meyers a frame, blade, trip setup. Im adding wings to a 6' to make a 7'6" overall.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.