Curtis Plows who has them and there thoughts

DAZ982500

Senior Member
Location
upstate ny
Since there is no specific forum for these plows I will ask a general open ended question.Who has used these products and what do you think of them,The hitch and run system appears easy looks like a solid plow.Please let me know why you selected it and the pros/cons you have found out about them.I don"nt see alot of these in southern N.Y. state, I am trying to choose from quite a selection so I am looking into all of them real closely.It will be on a DODGE 98 2500.The dealer wants to put Timbrens on too, I did not think this was necessary but he states to provide more lift and support on the front end with a heavier plow . I am unsure if this is necessary.Any thoughts on this would be usefull.Thanks Dave.
 
curtis

i owned a home pro on a dakota,and i was happy with it... i outgrew that and went with a 7 1/2 curtis on a ram 1500 with timbren bushings to plow small commercial lots. the truck held up and the plow did not. the hitch & run system failed and tore the plow off the truck by bumping a curb. on another ocasion i was back an area and had the plow become disconnected on one side. i used the 7 1/2 curtis for 1 1/2 years in syracuse and traded the truck in without the plow and now i have a curtis to sell (cheap). i would ONLY recomend buying a curtis if you will ONLY be clearing residential driveways, and even then ? Spend a little more and get alot more
timbren bushings take the ride out of the front end, and you definately do NOT need them on a 2500 dodge. it kinda sounds like your dealing with four seasons(terpening trailers). if you need more info email me.
premierhomesny@yahoo.com
 

129

Junior Member
Curtis

I use a Curtis plow and have had no major problems for two season now. This year I'm sub contracting out for a much larger lot and will be putting the Curtis to the real test. The only real problem I have with the Curtis is the plug being mounted so low. It works it's way loose under heavy snow pushing. I hope to have it moved higher so this is not a factor. I'm also putting on some pro-wings for the larger lot I will be doing, so this year I will really be putting it to the test. I like the quick hook up and disconnect system of the plow, plus I like how the pump is protected from the elements. I plow with a 91 Dodge power ram, 1/2 ton. I have not used any suspension assist in the past, but will be putting on timbrens for this season, between the plow and salt I carry the old dodge needs some help. I'll let ya know how the season goes with the Curtis.:)
 

Boondox

Senior Member
A few years ago while shopping around for a plow I checked out the big four in my area (North Central VT): Boss, Blizzard, Fisher and Curtis. The biggest concern for me was ease of mounting and dismounting, as I used my truck as a commuter to work after plowing my road, outbuildings and rentals and didn't want to carry the plow everywhere.

I didn't like the Fisher at all. The Boss was okay, but the Blizzard and the Curtis were far easier IMO to mount and remove. What settled it for me (since my driveway is dirt and things tend to settle) was the fact that the Curtis could compensate for settling while the Blizzard couldn't. When the Blizzard salesguy drove up to his plow and it wouldn't connect because of settling I made up my mind to go with Curtis.

My road is dirt, with stone walls on both sides. For that reason I went with the full trip model. I've had no problems at all with the plow, despite clipping a couple of large boulders on occasion. Like the other poster I don't like how low the connections are, and will probably trash the bracket and just run the connectors between the bumper and the grill. Other than that I absolutely love the plow. It takes me less than a minute to drive into the mount and make my two connections...slightly longer to disconnect. Maybe 90 seconds.

I'm sold on Curtis. Now how about complaining to their salesman that they don't sponsor Plowsite.com so we can have a forum of our own..?

Pete
 

THEGOLDPRO

PlowSite Veteran
i have had a curtis for 2 seasons now and i plow 20 driveways, and two big commercial lots with it, and have never had a problem.

Its every bit as strong if not stronger then the competion, and much easier to mount/un-mount. my brother has a blizzard on his truck and it takes 3 times as long to mount it then mine does.
 
129 said:
I use a Curtis plow and have had no major problems for two season now. This year I'm sub contracting out for a much larger lot and will be putting the Curtis to the real test. The only real problem I have with the Curtis is the plug being mounted so low. It works it's way loose under heavy snow pushing. I hope to have it moved higher so this is not a factor. I'm also putting on some pro-wings for the larger lot I will be doing, so this year I will really be putting it to the test. I like the quick hook up and disconnect system of the plow, plus I like how the pump is protected from the elements. I plow with a 91 Dodge power ram, 1/2 ton. I have not used any suspension assist in the past, but will be putting on timbrens for this season, between the plow and salt I carry the old dodge needs some help. I'll let ya know how the season goes with the Curtis.:)

be gentle with it, and if you want another i have a 2 year old curtis 7 1/2 i will sell. it had 2 seasons with me and there wont be another!!! by the way, you have the old style because the new style has a locking pin to keep it plugged in.
 

THEGOLDPRO

PlowSite Veteran
premier homes said:
be gentle with it, and if you want another i have a 2 year old curtis 7 1/2 i will sell. it had 2 seasons with me and there wont be another!!! by the way, you have the old style because the new style has a locking pin to keep it plugged in.
how much you looking to get for it?
 

Antnee77

PlowSite.com Addict
Location
RI
premier homes said:
be gentle with it, and if you want another i have a 2 year old curtis 7 1/2 i will sell. it had 2 seasons with me and there wont be another!!! by the way, you have the old style because the new style has a locking pin to keep it plugged in.

Moved to Fisher I see?
 

REAPER

2000 Club Member
Get the Timbrens.

Save the old bump stop and switch in the spring when you take the plow off for the season. They pop in and out with a screwdriver. If you have a floor jack or any jack to safely raise it anyone can do it. Even a caveman.
Took me about 20 mins to do both sides and they are well worth it when hanging the plow.
 

Antnee77

PlowSite.com Addict
Location
RI
REAPER said:
Get the Timbrens.

Save the old bump stop and switch in the spring when you take the plow off for the season. They pop in and out with a screwdriver. If you have a floor jack or any jack to safely raise it anyone can do it. Even a caveman.
Took me about 20 mins to do both sides and they are well worth it when hanging the plow.

Are you saying that you should swap out the Timbrens for the factory bump stops after every winter?
 

Jt13speed

Senior Member
Hey Premier you dont happen to have any pics of your trucks you can show us do ya? And not that its bad or anything but how come you opted for Hemis instead of deisels?

sry to the original poster dont mean to highjack the thread.
 

basher

PlowSite Fanatic
Location
19707
REAPER said:
Get the Timbrens.

Save the old bump stop and switch in the spring when you take the plow off for the season. They pop in and out with a screwdriver. If you have a floor jack or any jack to safely raise it anyone can do it. Even a caveman.
Took me about 20 mins to do both sides and they are well worth it when hanging the plow.

Why bother?
 

REAPER

2000 Club Member
If you want the smoother ride. Mine rest about 1/8th of a inch from the axle. The stock ones have about 2 inches of space between it. That 2 inches has a lot better ride over bumps as it allows the shock to travel. Leaving the Timbrens in gives you a much stiffer ride over the same bumps as it bottoms out on the bump stops (Timbrens).

It is preference really and since I have a large garage and it is a rather easy task I do it. Not many guys do though and opt for leaving them in.
 

Top Forums

Similar threads

Similar threads

Top