Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

My older Curtis plow has some aged connectors and lately I've resorted to using a hose clamp to keep them tight enough to be able to control / use the plow.

I checked online and only came across the newer style, which the site said is not a direct replacement for my connectors.

Question 1: Does anyone know of a source for the older style connectors? My connectors have 2 big pins for power and ground, the new style does not.

Question 2: Has anyone used the newer style and spliced it in to the older harness? I am thinking that, if the wires are just a different color, then all I would have to do is grab both schematics and match up using the purpose of the wires and not the color of the wires.

Thanks for any help on this.

Chris

· Registered
16,975 Posts
Try Storks, they may have something. If they don't you are going to have to change, rewire it some. Check other manufacturers, Meyer might have a repair ends that will work.
I am sure you no that Curtis is out of the truck snow plow game.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try Storks, they may have something. If they don't you are going to have to change, rewire it some. Check other manufacturers, Meyer might have a repair ends that will work.
I am sure you no that Curtis is out of the truck snow plow game.
Storks has the newer connectors - and is also where I learned that it may be possible to rewire the old harness using a new connector. I'm just not sure that it's only a matter of matching wire for wire based on function.

I can figure out a "direct swap" if it only entails matching up wire function using both sets of wiring diagrams. If there are relays or anything that have to be added in, then I'm in for a lot of reading and learning.

I will check out the Meyer site as well. Thanks for the tip. (y)

· Registered
7 Posts
Hello all.

My older Curtis plow has some aged connectors and lately I've resorted to using a hose clamp to keep them tight enough to be able to control / use the plow.

I checked online and only came across the newer style, which the site said is not a direct replacement for my connectors.

Question 1: Does anyone know of a source for the older style connectors? My connectors have 2 big pins for power and ground, the new style does not.

Question 2: Has anyone used the newer style and spliced it in to the older harness? I am thinking that, if the wires are just a different color, then all I would have to do is grab both schematics and match up using the purpose of the wires and not the color of the wires.

Thanks for any help on this.

Chris
I recently replaced the plugs you are referring to on my Curtis Sno-Pro 3000 with Boss Plugs, both the truck side and plow side. I used a 2 wire plug for the power from the battery to the pump. I used a 13 pin plug for the other wires matching the colors that were the same in the new plug with the old wires. There are 5 wires that didn't match up so I pick a color and made sure it corresponded on the plow side. Here is what it looks like after I was finished.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

I hope this helps. Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the replacement Curtis connectors? (along with the Boss two wire plug)

· Registered
7 Posts
No, both are Boss connectors. I wired them into the Curtis harness.
After I had the plugs replaced, when I tried to run any of the plow functions, the pump would run but nothing worked. I couldn’t find where orange ground wire ground to the truck. I traced it back to where it deadened at the controller plug. I cut it from the plug and grounded it under the dash.

· Registered
17,183 Posts
After I had the plugs replaced, when I tried to run any of the plow functions, the pump would run but nothing worked. I couldn’t find where orange ground wire ground to the truck. I traced it back to where it deadened at the controller plug. I cut it from the plug and grounded it under the dash.
it was probably supposed to be grounded at the solenoid.

anyway does it function properly now.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks tons for the information!

I have the 13 pin plugs and the 38" and 92" two-wire cables in my cart and should be good to go.

Your pic showing the pin/wire layout was a bonus. (y)

· Registered
7 Posts
I drew it up and put it in my copy of the troubleshooting guide so that I would have it for future use, if I need it. So it wasn't really any extra work. Usually on these forums, I don't have a lot to contribute. Glad I could help for a change.

I was tired of always having to get out of the truck and wiggle the plug so I figured this out on my own and I am very glad I did. It works without hesitation. Hope it works out as well for you as it did for me.

You might also want to add the weather caps. I didn't think of that when I ordered the plugs but I bought them later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts