coupler hydraulics for angling plow ( no strength to hold angle)

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by jc8, Dec 17, 2019.

1. jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

Hello,

I have a 544D loader which has a hydraulic coupler. I run a plow on it and to angle the blade I use the hydraulics from the coupler. ( as in I pick up the plow, lock in coupler, unplug hydro to coupler cylinder then plug in cylinders on plow)

Here's my issue....there's no strength to the plow. It moves very slowly from side to side and will not hold the angle I've chosen.

Is this because the coupler hydraulics are not designed for this? flow or pressure?

I was going to buy an expensive diverter valve and tap in to the curl function...but if this is something else then I don't want to waste any $$$$

Thanks for help!

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

This is a total guess, but I would think the flow to any coupler is a pretty low flow affair.I'd contact the dealer and talk to the service dept. Usually the problem is the opposite ,a plow that moves too fast and wants to tear itself apart !

m_ice likes this.
  3. m_ice

m_ice 2000 Club Member

Yes the flow to the hydraulic coupler is typically lower

4. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite Veteran

What size are the lines feeding the quick coupler ?

5. OP
    OP
    jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

They neck down to 1/2" on the plow.

Is there a cheap flow and pressure tester out there I could buy?

6. leigh

leigh PlowSite Veteran
    from CT

7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite Veteran

On my smaller JD Loader i do the exact same thing as you , run the blade off of the quick attach locking pin lines . Mine works way too fast , I have to feather the lever . When you lock your pins is that function normal speed or slow ?

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  8. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite Veteran

How old is the blade ? Maybe pinched lines or needs flushed out ?

9. OP
    OP
    jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

I put new fluid through it. No lines pinched.Locking pins move pretty slow but I have nothing to compare it to.

Maybe a diverter valve, (but they're $1k ( 40GPM and my loader is closer to 50gpm)) on the crul function.

10. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite Veteran

Try taking off the quick attach fitting on the line from the loader , fluid should shoot out fast when activated . Maybe quick fitting is slowing down the flow ?

11. NBRam1500

NBRam1500 Senior Member

Any leaks anywhere? If it's not holding the angle you must be losing pressure? Fluid level good?

12. OP
    OP
    jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

No leaks anywhere.... just real slow and no power at all .... I bet a person could stop it from moving!

13. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite Veteran

All the other hydraulic functions on the loader work fine ?

14. OP
    OP
    jc8

jc8 Junior Member
    from ON

Yes lots of power to articulate, very snappy actually. The loader arms and curl work very well too.