Snow Plowing Forum banner

Cost to sub out skid steer

20K views 84 replies 20 participants last post by  leigh 
#1 ·
I have a brand new cat skid steer with a bucket. I’ve thought about selling myself and the cat to do snow removal. I have a bucket right now and I could buy a box. I’m curious how much my rate to charge a contractor would be with myself, machine with bucket and separately with a push box would be.

#4 ·
I have a brand new cat skid steer with a bucket. I've thought about selling myself and the cat to do snow removal. I have a bucket right now and I could buy a box. I'm curious how much my rate to charge a contractor would be with myself, machine with bucket and separately with a push box would be.
1* Since you've been running equipment and used a skid from snow removal coming up with productivity per hour should easy. You may want to include load and unload time.
2* Insurance cost, for the equipment, trailer, truck and Gen Liability (min of $2M coverage)
3* Operating cost for the equipment, trailer, and truck which includes finance payments, maintenance, repairs, tires, etc...
4* Salary

From here you'll be close to figuring out how much to charge

#33 ·
Depends on whether you're the contract holder or a sub or a sub of a sub or a sub of a sub of a sub...

#52 ·
I never said I charged by the hr. I'm surprised you guys are blown away by my numbers. Why don't you guys post up what your numbers are? Nobody else profits from snow removal? You all just break even?
I don't recall anyone stating you plowed by the hour.

#63 ·
Back to OP's ? How much to charge to sub out your skid with a pusher.It's all regional,all these discussions always get into the same old argument.I would pay you 125$ an hour,or we would agree on a $ amount on each lot so you can profit from your experience and productivity.As long as the quality of work is maintained. Local knowledge is key.

#73 ·
Only time we charge hourly is for anything beyond the scope of work stated in the contract. For us a skiddy is $150 an hour. Normally this is snow haul out work. The rest of the time the equipment cost is figured in to our seasonal contracts, so what a piece of equipment "makes" an hour can change wildly depends on the how much/frequent snow fall is that for that season.

#75 ·
Hell I will go out for $125.00 per hr with my big loader under the right conditions. Meaning am I going to get 10 hours or 2 hours. If You got two hrs work I want probably at least $200.00 per hr for my region. We all don't spend the same on operating cost for numerous reasons.

#76 ·
Hell I will go out for $125.00 per hr with my big loader under the right conditions. Meaning am I going to get 10 hours or 2 hours. If You got two hrs work I want probably at least $200.00 per hr for my region. We all don't spend the same on operating cost for numerous reasons.
And if your overhead is higher,tough luck. Imagine telling client I need x amount more because I'm paying for my new shop ,new trucks etc.Meanwhile joe blow stores his equipment in the barn and loves working on older trucks/equipment and has low overhead. Fortunatly there seems to be work for all those willing to work.

#81 ·
I just don't get this....don't work hourly thing.

No matter how you slice it, you at producting rev at a hourly rate.

I get the bid the job, do it at a set price....still you need to divde hours into rev.

How about those KC Chiefs!

#85 ·
As a New Englander it was an honor to send the squaws home for the offseason! I think for many they don't have a choice but to get paid by the hour as a subs, its the nature of the business. I don't work by the hour ,but that's my choice as the top guy in the food chain.I pay my subs sort of a hybrid, sort of hourly,but also based on the storm.The other day we had an easy push,4 hrs,I bought breakfast and paid every one for 8 hrs.I know of others in my area that do things like this,a good sub is priceless ! Especially for the smaller more detailed/challenging type of lots. They all have use of shop to work on vehicles,they can store their plows inside year round.Keep everyone happy,and no I'm not hiring !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.