Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new cat skid steer with a bucket. I’ve thought about selling myself and the cat to do snow removal. I have a bucket right now and I could buy a box. I’m curious how much my rate to charge a contractor would be with myself, machine with bucket and separately with a push box would be.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info where are you at? Have you done before? Any skid experience?
I'm in the Toledo Ohio area. I do have experience with using for snow removal. I've operated equipment for 15 years. I've never used my equipment before. I've always worked for someone with their equipment. Generally we shut down over the colder months.

· Super Moderator
43,555 Posts
I have a brand new cat skid steer with a bucket. I've thought about selling myself and the cat to do snow removal. I have a bucket right now and I could buy a box. I'm curious how much my rate to charge a contractor would be with myself, machine with bucket and separately with a push box would be.
1* Since you've been running equipment and used a skid from snow removal coming up with productivity per hour should easy. You may want to include load and unload time.
2* Insurance cost, for the equipment, trailer, truck and Gen Liability (min of $2M coverage)
3* Operating cost for the equipment, trailer, and truck which includes finance payments, maintenance, repairs, tires, etc...
4* Salary

From here you'll be close to figuring out how much to charge

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was initially thinking 125 to start myself. We don’t get snow that much so I’d imagine a long day/night being 6 hrs. Or do you charge for the machine to stay on site and then hourly charge for myself driving it.

· Registered
6,180 Posts
With a push box? Does that matter?. I have two machines no boxes so I'd go buy one if I could find a solid company to work with.
I do think you need a 10' box or plow to get the most out of it.
I never was a sub or used subs. I would never operate like that anyway. Think about all you are paying for: Truck and trailer to haul to site. Unless it's left onsite which opens you up to other issues such as theft and damage and wear. Insurance for all that plus the cost of the machine and fuel and wear items like blades and tires. Maintenance of all of the above. Plus paying yourself. Being out in the cold and snow and salt is hard on machines. You gotta make enough to cover all your costs and still make profit.

· Registered
60,265 Posts
If it were me I wouldn't do it for less than $125/hr
And you wouldn't be working around here. For just a little more I can get a 3 yd loader and operator. And I do.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.