Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just joined the site today & I’m new to plowing, but I went out plowing with a friend last winter and it seemed like it would be interesting to do, so I’m hoping to start my business next winter & was just curious on what everyone charges to plow residential driveways & neighborhood driveways?
Thanks! :plowblue:

· Registered
15,554 Posts
Hi everyone I just joined the site today & I'm new to plowing, but I went out plowing with a friend last winter and it seemed like it would be interesting to do, so I'm hoping to start my business next winter & was just curious on what everyone charges to plow residential driveways & neighborhood driveways?
Thanks! :plowblue:
Figure out how long it will take you, how much you need to make to pay expenses, insurance, etc and go from there.

· Registered
15,554 Posts
And what a drive way pays here, ain't the same as other parts of the country. Where are you located?
Might add the length, width, difficulty, etc.

I've got 1 little drive, 9" wide and 75' long. 95% of the snow needs to be pushed out to the street, then pushed up in a pile between the street and walk. In the middle of the night, it takes 5 or 6 minutes. During rush hour, it takes sometimes 15 or more minutes. It's at a busy intersection.
Not all drives are alike.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might add the length, width, difficulty, etc.

I've got 1 little drive, 9" wide and 75' long. 95% of the snow needs to be pushed out to the street, then pushed up in a pile between the street and walk. In the middle of the night, it takes 5 or 6 minutes. During rush hour, it takes sometimes 15 or more minutes. It's at a busy intersection.
Not all drives are alike.
That's not bad at all. What do you charge for that driveway? If you don't mind me asking

· Registered
15,554 Posts
That's not bad at all. What do you charge for that driveway? If you don't mind me asking
I do a bunch of commercial and residential for that client and my sidewalk crew does the walks, so it's based on that. It gets billed at 10 minutes, which is one 6th of what I estimate my hourly.
If you can come up with a minimum, based on what you need to make, you can go that route.
Hope that helps.
If you have several drives in close proximity, you can do them for less.
Example, you sign contracts for a combination of 10 driveways, lots, etc and the route takes you say 5 hours including drive time. You have to Cover all your expenses, repairs, wear and tear etc and pay yourself what you're worth for a day.
I'll also add that the price increases with snow depth.
Ask your buddy how much he'd pay you as a sub and tack on some more.
For your 1st year, don't take on more than what you think you can do in 4,or 5 hours. Traffic, weather, stopping to wizz etc all add time.

There is no magic number.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do a bunch of commercial and residential for that client and my sidewalk crew does the walks, so it's based on that. It gets billed at 10 minutes, which is one 6th of what I estimate my hourly.
If you can come up with a minimum, based on what you need to make, you can go that route.
Hope that helps.
If you have several drives in close proximity, you can do them for less.
Example, you sign contracts for a combination of 10 driveways, lots, etc and the route takes you say 5 hours including drive time. You have to Cover all your expenses, repairs, wear and tear etc and pay yourself what you're worth for a day.
I'll also add that the price increases with snow depth.
Ask your buddy how much he'd pay you as a sub and tack on some more.
For your 1st year, don't take on more than what you think you can do in 4,or 5 hours. Traffic, weather, etc all add time.

There is no magic number.
Ok I'll ask my buddy about that & there shouldn't be a hole lot of driveways & lots to plow around by me & thanks for your info!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.