1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Converting an '87 TBI to Vortec Heads?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DarthD, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. DarthD

    DarthD Junior Member
    Messages: 3

    I have a 1987 Suburban 4x4 that will be having the engine overhauled pretty soon. (200,000 miles) I would like to use Vortec heads if possible. Where is the best place to find the correct intake and what problems will I have? Is there a website that shows this conversion?
  2. JohnnyU

    JohnnyU 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,040

    This site has the aluminum intake that you will need to keep the TBI unit, but run it through the vortec heads. It also supplies this 'tech note'
    I don't know of a website that shows all this information in a step-by-step form, but hopefully this link will help you out to at least get started. As far as I know, everything bolts up, with that intake and the exhaust manifolds that are mentioned in the quotation.

  3. Crazy_Eddie

    Crazy_Eddie Member
    Messages: 38

    that bring up a good question...

    I have a pretty new 350 in my '94 and have wondered what exactly is the difference between the TBIs and the vortecs?

  4. DarthD

    DarthD Junior Member
    Messages: 3

    Thanks for the info.
  5. wyldman

    wyldman Member
    Messages: 3,265

    You will need the special intake,like mentioned above.You will also need special intake gaskets ($25.00 pr).You will need self aligning rockers ($15.00 each new !).These heads flow very well,but do not like much cam lift,or you will bind the retainers on the valve stems seals.A stock or mild replacement (no more than .400 " lift) will work fine.

    I'd go wrecking yard shoping for the rocker arms,see if you can find a good used set.