1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PrestigeNursery, Jan 19, 2012.

  1. PrestigeNursery

    PrestigeNursery Junior Member
    Messages: 11

    We have 2 old Municple trucks that that electronic valve packs with the computer for the auger and spinner. We have been having so many problems with them that we are just going back to the od fashion way of the manual valve bodies. I was looking for ideas on a good way to convert these back without ripping out the whole vavle pack. I think I explained this the best I could.

  2. White Gardens

    White Gardens 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,665

    What controls the hydraulic flow to the auger/spreader? If it's all electronic, then you'll have to do some engineering.

    My truck has the Gresson (SP?) control valve in the cab with my hydraulic lines running through it and back out the cab.

    Where is the electronic valve currently located?

  3. PrestigeNursery

    PrestigeNursery Junior Member
    Messages: 11

    the valve pack is located behind the cab, electronic aucuators for spinner and auger operation. Which is controlled by the computer. Basically that is like your manual valve body except there electric. If you kind of follow me.
  4. White Gardens

    White Gardens 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,665

    If it's behind the cab, then you might be in good shape. The thing is that you'll need to route more hose into the cab and get a good manual valve body and pillar to mount it in the truck.

    But, I would weigh your options first. If rebuilding your current valve body/system is cheaper, then it might work good for 5+ years without issue.

    But, it might be cheaper and easier to use the manual valves.

    As for using your current valve, I'm doubting you can use anything off of it.

    See if LON chimes in this thread. He's extremely good at figuring out hydro systems.

    If you need me to take any pics of my setup to help you out, then let me know.

  5. PrestigeNursery

    PrestigeNursery Junior Member
    Messages: 11

    It is actually cheaper to change it over to manual. And in the long run, with manual you might have a blown hose here and there or valve bodies go bad. With the electric valve bodies, and computer operated systems, you have sensors that go bad and the valves themselves that go bad,

    We have 5 other trucks with the manual Set ups, but we are just trying to figure out what would be the easiest way to go about this.

    What I am thinking is the Valve bodies are in blocks, We are able to take off the 2 blocks with the Electric valve bodies, cap off the end and that should be the end of it in that section.
  6. White Gardens

    White Gardens 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,665

    I'd like to see a pic of that setup, or a link to the manufacture.

  7. White Gardens

    White Gardens 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,665

    Ok, if it's something like this,


    Then yes, it might be possible to re-use the valve block. I'm not certain though that you could get some manual knobs for it. My logic thinks you can, but I could be wrong.

    But then the issue is that of mounting the block in the cab like your other trucks in order to control flow, Or....... (this is farmboy redneck stretch,) you could try and configure some sort of cable control in order to keep the block in the same location. But, Leverage, additional mounting for the cable, Travel of cable in relation to valve, etc.. could make it a pita.

  8. LON

    LON Senior Member
    Messages: 749

    need more info or pics. It could be an old GL400 Freedom Control or a newer Storm Guard or hopefully not a penguin system.
  9. PrestigeNursery

    PrestigeNursery Junior Member
    Messages: 11

    Here you go, I labeled one picture for you guys to take a look at.

    545 (1).jpg

    545 (2).jpg

    545 (3).jpg
  10. dooleycorp

    dooleycorp Senior Member
    Messages: 121

    go to your local hydraulic hose shop explain what you want and what you have they should be able to steer you in the right direction good luck