Snow Plowing Forum banner

controller

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Hydromaster 
#1 ·
Has anyone built a homemade controller for a western snowplow? If you have can you provide details of the wiring inside the controller! Thanks

#2 ·
Awful lot of interest in non-OEM controllers of late...apparently I'm not the only one that thinks they suck.

So much for @cwren2472 supposition.

#4 ·
It will never change...lots of guys entering the market priced low to aquire work. Blades and equipement overpriced and underengineered, if you are a small 1 man operation doubling up on equipment and stocking spare parts isn't always in the budget... You dream up ways to self fix to what you need.
This year alone I see veterans with big companies that want out...salt prices, equipment electronics, truck prices, customer expectations and general flowerness, insurance, I'm thinking that way as well. If I add up my cost for snowplowing I could have retired at 45 with just my summer work to worry about. Maybe winter's off and a timeshare somewhere warm is in my future...

Reactions: SHAWZER
#5 ·
if you are a small 1 man operation doubling up on equipment and stocking spare parts isn't always in the budget... You dream up ways to self fix to what you need.
I have no issue with that - there is nothing wrong with MacGyvering a solution either because you can't afford another fix or because you just get off on that sort of thing. We have frequently added back-up toggle switches on trailers, either for hydraulics or winches, for customers who have a habit of running over control boxes on a daily basis.

I was just pointing out that none of the guys looking to DIY a controller have indicated that they wanted to do so because they had an issue with the whole UP/DOWN thing. Except Mark.

#11 ·
FWIW, for every customer I've had that had that hates the DD style controller for the reasons you've mentioned (plus I've had a couple of people complain about accidentally powering off the controller because the buttons are too close) I've had someone else complain about the BOSS controller and it's requirement to depress several large buttons for most functions. So I guess there is no universal controller that will make everyone happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.