Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Awful lot of interest in non-OEM controllers of late...apparently I'm not the only one that thinks they suck.

So much for @cwren2472 supposition.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
Awful lot of interest in non-OEM controllers of late...apparently I'm not the only one that thinks they suck.

So much for @cwren2472 supposition.
Or he just thinks the price of the OEM controller sucks. I don't think the guy in the other thread trying to make the toggle switches work stated he felt that the switches were more user friendly

· Registered
17,710 Posts
It will never change...lots of guys entering the market priced low to aquire work. Blades and equipement overpriced and underengineered, if you are a small 1 man operation doubling up on equipment and stocking spare parts isn't always in the budget... You dream up ways to self fix to what you need.
This year alone I see veterans with big companies that want out...salt prices, equipment electronics, truck prices, customer expectations and general flowerness, insurance, I'm thinking that way as well. If I add up my cost for snowplowing I could have retired at 45 with just my summer work to worry about. Maybe winter's off and a timeshare somewhere warm is in my future...

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
if you are a small 1 man operation doubling up on equipment and stocking spare parts isn't always in the budget... You dream up ways to self fix to what you need.
I have no issue with that - there is nothing wrong with MacGyvering a solution either because you can't afford another fix or because you just get off on that sort of thing. We have frequently added back-up toggle switches on trailers, either for hydraulics or winches, for customers who have a habit of running over control boxes on a daily basis.

I was just pointing out that none of the guys looking to DIY a controller have indicated that they wanted to do so because they had an issue with the whole UP/DOWN thing. Except Mark.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
This year alone I see veterans with big companies that want out...salt prices, equipment electronics, truck prices, customer expectations and general flowerness, insurance, I'm thinking that way as well. If I add up my cost for snowplowing I could have retired at 45 with just my summer work to worry about. Maybe winter's off and a timeshare somewhere warm is in my future...
Working on creating that option now and for the same reasons.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
I was just pointing out that none of the guys looking to DIY a controller have indicated that they wanted to do so because they had an issue with the whole UP/DOWN thing. Except Mark.
That isn't the only reason I'm looking for a different solution. You'll recall the small joystick sucks and I don't do handhelds. Multiplex wiring makes controls difficult if not just stupid.

Going back to the airplane or any other modern piece of equipment thing...how many have controls that make a function do the opposite if you bump it twice...or once after fully extending\retracting a wing? If you touch your gas pedal twice does it engage the brakes? How about a headlight switch? How about flaps on a plane? Or curling\dumping a bucket on a loader or excavator?

When you start looking at the lack of logic, it really is stupid. If you hit "enter" twice on your keyboard, does it delete? Flip a light switch twice in the same direction does it shut the lights off? I can go on, but you also should remember that it has been "clearly established" that you've never plowed snow so you don't understand how stupid these functions are.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
That isn't the only reason I'm looking for a different solution. You'll recall the small joystick sucks and I don't do handhelds.
I know. I just like needling you.

Going back to the airplane or any other modern piece of equipment thing...how many have controls that make a function do the opposite if you bump it twice...or once after fully extending\retracting a wing? If you touch your gas pedal twice does it engage the brakes? How about a headlight switch? How about flaps on a plane? Or curling\dumping a bucket on a loader or excavator?

When you start looking at the lack of logic, it really is stupid. If you hit "enter" twice on your keyboard, does it delete? Flip a light switch twice in the same direction does it shut the lights off? I can go on, but you also should remember that it has been "clearly established" that you've never plowed snow so you don't understand how stupid these functions are.
Actually I totally agree. You are right that I don't have to use the control and yet I find that design annoying as hell even just for testing/repair purposes in the bay for very short periods. I've mentioned it many times to both sales reps and tech reps over the years and the "explanations" that I've posted before are what I was given in response. Doesn't mean I agree with them. I've also defended the BOSS style controller with its simple, intuitive button layout for that same reason, despite its requirement to press more than 1 button.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
I've mentioned it many times to both sales reps and tech reps over the years and the "explanations" that I've posted before are what I was given in response.
So they don't care what customers think...that's awesome.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
FWIW, for every customer I've had that had that hates the DD style controller for the reasons you've mentioned (plus I've had a couple of people complain about accidentally powering off the controller because the buttons are too close) I've had someone else complain about the BOSS controller and it's requirement to depress several large buttons for most functions. So I guess there is no universal controller that will make everyone happy.

· Registered
15,792 Posts
FWIW, for every customer I've had that had that hates the DD style controller for the reasons you've mentioned (plus I've had a couple of people complain about accidentally powering off the controller because the buttons are too close) I've had someone else complain about the BOSS controller and it's requirement to depress several large buttons for most functions. So I guess there is no universal controller that will make everyone happy.
If your thumb is so skinny that it falls in between the buttons when you are hitting them together you have bigger issues...

· Super Moderator
11,066 Posts
2 buttons is several? What's a couple? And what about a few?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.