Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the excellent post on "No power to controller" but my problem is a little different. When I start the truck the handheld controller (Western) turns on. I press the red power button and the red light illuminates. When I press any function the red light goes out but the controller stays backlit. When it first happened I was returning from plowing out my drive. I pushed the snow off to the left and raised the plow and that's when it started kicking off. The only function that would work is down. I played with it for a while and succeeded in blowing the 7.5 amp fuse. I cleaned the plow/truck connectors and they seemed to be fine with no loose pins. I tested the controller according to the mechanics guide and it checked out OK. The plow/truck lights work as intended. I am using the 26400 isolation module. I found a thread that seemed like had the same symptoms but I can't find it again. Any help is appreciated

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Ajlawn1 - that's where I saw it. Bought the plow used two years ago and it has performed very well until now. Just use it to plow myself and a few neighbors out. I do the annual maintenance on it. BTW, the only used Boss plows around here are really ready for retirement. I found this Western in Eastern WA in beautiful shape.

cwren2472 - I'll go over the basics again (clean power and grounds) and repost. Glad we're having a very mild winter here in NW Montana. Thanks.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
Yes, Ajlawn1 - that's where I saw it. Bought the plow used two years ago and it has performed very well until now. Just use it to plow myself and a few neighbors out. I do the annual maintenance on it. BTW, the only used Boss plows around here are really ready for retirement. I found this Western in Eastern WA in beautiful shape.

cwren2472 - I'll go over the basics again (clean power and grounds) and repost. Glad we're having a very mild winter here in NW Montana. Thanks.
Just so we are clear, the connections I'm referring to are the ones actually on the battery itself. The controller shutting off when you hit a button, absent any other known issue, is almost always a voltage drop occurring when the motor kicks in causing the module to shut off and kill power to the controller

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right again cwren2472. It was the ground side on the battery. Where I had attached the ground cable was a little loose. I could move it a little by hand. I also found the connector for the hand controller is a little loose. If it wiggles too much the controller will lose power. I have seen replacement 6-pin connector kits on the web.

Ajlawn1 maybe you want to look at your battery connections. If that is your problem, cwren2472 gets two for the price of one! Thanks again. :usflag:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.