Controller problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by FireLt., Nov 9, 2019.

1. FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

I have a wideout with the handheld controller. Tonight I hooked everything up and found no power to the controller. When hooked to the plow, the lights switched over to the plow side as they should. I tried another controller with the same results. Checked the fuse which looked good and all plugs connections look tight. I’m not sure where to look next. Any advice would be great.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

replace the battery recently?

check the battery cables

3. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

Battery cables are tight.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Repeat...

Screenshot_20191109-220933.png

m_ice, Randall Ave and dieselss like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

Is there more than 1 fuse? I was able to locate 1 coming off the controller wire straight to the fuse box.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have power at the fusebox tag.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes there are two more I believe.

8. bammbammfran

bammbammfran Junior Member
    from USA

might be a bad lighting (Isolation) module relay that sends power to the controller when the front light part of the harness is attached.
    Power comes from battery through a 7.5A fuse into the module then back out of the module to the controller

if you have a 4 port isolation module. power goes into the fuse with a red w/green stripe wire, comes out with a Red w/white stripe wire and goes into the module at port 1. then it comes out with a red w/yellow stripe wire at the same port to go to the controller. if you have 12 volts at the fuse, You can bypass the isolation module at these two wires by connecting them together.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

yes, power at the fuse box, but nothing at the plug when tested with a test light

10. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

I have the 3 port isolation module. When I plug in the lights, they do switch over to the tower. No power anywhere else.

11. Freshwater

Freshwater PlowSite Veteran

The power button doesnt turn on.... or no power at all, the controller background light doesnt even come on?

12. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

No power to the contoller at all. No Red power light or back light

13. bammbammfran

from USA

if you have a 4 port isolation module. power goes into the fuse with a red w/green stripe wire, comes out with a Red w/white stripe wire and goes into the module at port 1. then it comes out with a red w/yellow stripe wire at the same port to go to the controller. if you have 12 volts at the fuse, You can bypass the isolation module at these two wires by connecting them together.
    Just because the lights work, does not mean that the relay in the module that sends power to the controller is working.
    if your lighting module is 3 port
    power works the same way, but it goes into port B at pin E with a wire marked F1-BF at pin C and comes out at pin with a wire marked SWV-DC

14. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

so is there anyway to bypass the module like you described in a 4 port?

15. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to test the 4 pin plug for power and ground to see which is missing

Screenshot_20191110-193513.jpg

m_ice likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

I tried this. I was unable to get any power to the test light when testing any of the ports.

17. OP
    OP
    FireLt.

FireLt. Junior Member

Silly question, but do I need to be hooked up to the plow when testing these plugs?

18. Randall Ave

You need to check the module to make sure all the power inputs are hot, and the grounds are good.

19. bammbammfran

from USA

CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST: power works the same way, but it goes into port B at pin E with a wire marked F1-BF at pin C and comes out at pin with a wire marked SWV-DC
    IT SHOULD READ-- power works the same way, but it goes into port B at pin (F) with a wire marked F1-BF and comes out at pin C with a wire marked SWV-DC
    SORRY

FireLt. likes this.
  20. Randall Ave

Yes.