1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtmandan2, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. dirtmandan2

    dirtmandan2 Senior Member
    Messages: 275

    Ive gone around the last two weeks or so trying to get my previous years contracts re- signed.. Some have signed on the spot and some need to look it over I guess. Theres a few I dont really care about, but theres 2 very nice accounts that i'm anxious about ( want to keep them ) What do I do during this time, call them? just sick of thinking about it.
  2. grandview

    grandview PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,609

    Call them and just say your holding their spot open and and your just trying to get things in order.
  3. JohnnyRoyale

    JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,935

    Keep hustling for other work. I hate to be behind the 8 ball that way. I give my clients 10 days to renew, and call them on the 9th if I havent heard from them.
  4. BlackIrish

    BlackIrish Senior Member
    Messages: 902

    Well put.
    When you call on the 9th day and if u don't get a firm answer, ask politely when u should call back for a decision and/or state u will call back in 2 days. Repeat at least 3 more times. Shows yr interested in them. Most contractors give up after the 2nd call, 85% of the people sign/commit by the 5th call.
    Hunt for extra work in the meantime in the same area as the other 2 .prsport
  5. dirtmandan2

    dirtmandan2 Senior Member
    Messages: 275

    last year i plowed with 3 trucks and on a large snowfall it was difficult, so i found another truck and plow this year... im just anxious about it.. theres got to be a way to get these contracts done in the spring on existing accounts. ive bid 2 hotels and an old folks home, if i get these accounts and everything i had last year im going to be pushing it with four trucks and would like to be able to drop a couple accounts i dont care about. just frustrating waiting... i will be calling everyone monday.
  6. ServiceOnSite

    ServiceOnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 950

    and dont forget if you dont get the contract to bury there approach when you drive by lol:rolleyes:
  7. terrapro

    terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI
    Messages: 3,912

    isnt that mandatory for all old accounts?
  8. Camden

    Camden PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,604

    I gave everyone until Sept 30th to re-up. Even though no one has canceled yet I wanted to give myself enough time to find new customers in case I needed to.

    Next time you want your contracts re-signed give them a due date and force their hand. Even if they don't sign it you'll at least know where you stand.
  9. Ipushsnow

    Ipushsnow Senior Member
    Messages: 314

    People want what they can't have, or think they may not be able to have. Thats the reason for the "act now!", "Supplies are limited!" and "Limited availability" sales pitches that have been around forever. Keeping that in mind I would give them a call and say "We are booking up fast and have been keeping a spot on our schedule for you because you have been a valuable customer and we have a sense of loyalty to you, but we really need to know if you are going to sign up with us again so we can release your spot to someone else if you choose not to."

    That has worked for me 99% of the time. They might have been thinking to shop around and get other estimates and not gotten around to it, might just be dragging their feet, whatever, but when confronted with making a decision and risking losing your good services they will jump on re-signing. Or tell you to take a hike, either way you will know.
  10. ServiceOnSite

    ServiceOnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 950

    jsut keep buggin em. if after one or two times write them off and move one to getting anouther one. you dont wanna waste to much time trying to get one ,use that time on getting new ones as well. when there new guy dont show up make it a point to drive by and poing out that your all done hours ago lol :gunsfiring:
  11. dirtmandan2

    dirtmandan2 Senior Member
    Messages: 275

    I called this morning, 1 of the 2 im waiting on faxed me the contract today, still waiting on the other.
  12. Neige

    Neige Sponsor
    Messages: 2,215

    I like that idea. This year for the first time we did something similar. Till Oct 10th the price is so much, payable immediately. After that it increases 7% no exceptions. Usually by Nov.1st were at 55% signed. I will let you know the % at Oct 10th. I'm hoping 80%.
  13. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 28,362

    I only take on new accounts now where I can have the mowing as well, and they have to sign a yearly price, 12 equal monthly payments.

    This works out 2 ways. The first is that I know going into the fall, what I already have for snow, and can try to budget accordingly, since they're already on board with the lawn maintenance.

    Also, since everything is 1 equal payment, I don't break my pricing down for the snow removal, so they don't really know how much they're paying to have a lot plowed. Now I can get $30-50 more per hour than most if you were just charging by the inch or by the hour.

    Other than that, I would do the every 10 days = a call approach, every week and a half or so, "just checking in, seeing if you got the fax" next time "just wondering if you had any questions" next time "we're just finalizing our routes for this upcoming season" then lastly "we need an answer tomorrow, if no answer, we're just filling the spot with someone else".

    If you start at the end of August, you'll have them all on board by the first of October. If you lose an account or two that you liked, you'll get 3 that you like better.
  14. Ramairfreak98ss

    Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,931

    we have a lot of bids out and almost all of them havnt said anything yet, typical. I think we are too going to put deadlines out for the bid prices by Oct 1st each year they must make a decision, if they have not, we will re-sumit the price, since by then, we may need to fill spots or change routes.

    I like when you quote them in august 28th, and then they call November 12th wanting to sign the deal, WTF? what pissed me off is that we were really banking on that job, didnt get a YES from them so found other jobs that paid a little less and filled the spot. Then they call and although i could make more $$, we dont run our business that way by canceling stuff after its already signed, just bad practices then.
  15. dirtmandan2

    dirtmandan2 Senior Member
    Messages: 275

    Well , Ive gotten everything I had except 1 I havent herard back from yet.. Plus I got 2 new hotels. So much for for 4 trucks, going to have to start looking for #5 for next winter...Wifes going to have a fit...
  16. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 28,362

    I hear you on that one.

    Last Tuesday I traded a 1999 Dodge 2500 in on a NEW 2007 Dodge 3500 quad cab 4x4 diesel with 9' contractor's body.

    The dealer gave me $9500 ($500 more than HIGH retail) for my trade, and sold their truck for $31,000 after it listed for $51,000.

    The wife was NOT happy, but when you're running a business, sometimes you have to buy things on value, as long as you can afford it.

    We're waiting on 7 more bids. 4 of which we had last year, 3 new ones.

    I'll be calling on the 15th, then the 20th. We should have them all back by the 25th.
  17. QuadPlower

    QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,056

    I pulled my bid from a very large job that didn't respond to emails or phone on when I could expect to hear if they wanted me or not. Very un-professional to not respond.

    I submitted a bid on Oct 1 and have not heard from them. It would be perfect for me with location and price. I don't want to seek other bids until I hear either way from them, but its been 14 days with nothing. I'm sending out brochures/fliers in the mail today.