Snow Plowing Forum banner

Contracts-salt shortage

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Grisi24 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
In my area they are already short on salt. I was quoted $75 a ton. This is my first year of buying salt for my biz. I was a subcontractor in the past and they bought the salt. Is there a way in the wording of your contracts to protect myself if the price of salt doubles or triples or is unavaliable? Like a possiable surcharge or how do you guys do it?

Thanks,
Ray

#2 ·
there is no shortage that i can see..... at first every one was claiming there was,,,, and they didnt know if they could get us all salt...

now they can get us what ever we need, just have to be willing ot pay the price

#3 ·

Well here in NY I know they are short already. How can I protect myself if I bid with the prices I am getting now. What do I do say the price doubles or I cannot get my hands on any towards the end of the season?

#5 ·
You need to price your salt high enough to still make money if salt does go up by 2-3x. What will you do when they ask you for proof that the price went up? It's hard to explain to a customer how you need to increase your charges because salt went to $150/yard when you use much less than a yard on their lot, and charge them $225.

Make sure to put a clause in the contract allowing you to use salt/sand mix at the same charge per app., just in case.

#6 · (Edited)
Plowin in VT;592845 said:
You need to price your salt high enough to still make money if salt does go up by 2-3x. What will you do when they ask you for proof that the price went up? It's hard to explain to a customer how you need to increase your charges because salt went to $150/yard when you use much less than a yard on their lot, and charge them $225.

Make sure to put a clause in the contract allowing you to use salt/sand mix at the same charge per app., just in case.
why would the customer let you use mix for the same price, im sure they know sand is cheaper than salt

that and i guess i dont understand the use of sand other than on a gravel lot or road

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.