Snow Plowing Forum banner

Considering A Hiniker

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  itsgottobegreen 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 F250 5.4 Gas Extended (SuperCab) I am close to choosing a plow for this truck and have gone through quite a few different options. I currently plow with a older dedicated plow truck - a 94 chevy short bed with 7.5' Western unimount, and will keep this set up in addition to the new set up on the Ford.

I am close to choosing a 8' steel hiniker straight blade. (Local dealer and brand recommended by several locals) I realize most people would want their trucks set up the same - same mounting systems and same blade so they are interchangable, but that is not an issue for me. This truck would be used for my driveway and about 10 bill-able accounts as well as a couple of freebies. (family, friends etc)

I don't think that I need the 8' -- 7.5' is plenty but for the 8' its only $100.00 more installed. The 8' blade will fit in my standard 9' garage door where the truck is currently parked.

I am looking at 4075.00 for the 7.5' installed and 4175.00 for the 8' installed. (+ tax)

What else should I be considering? Any thoughts from current Hiniker users?

Thanks in advance for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
There great plows! I have had 4 of them all with excellent results, your from northern MN? By chance if your in or near Brainerd I have bought most of our plows from Ed at Meyer Midwest great to deal with and he stands behind what he sells regardless of how or why it failed!

#3 ·
I run a 8' strait hiniker, I really like it. Easy to hook up if you drop it right. Only thing I would say is if you can make it threw this season and buy it at the end you could get a deal... Priced the one I have now last Dec and was about the same as what you said it would cost. Waited till Feb and got mine for $3250!! Saving almost $1000!!

#4 ·
i like the way a hiniker looks.

#5 ·
Wow - that is quite a discount. I was hoping to do it this year for tax purposes but if thats the case I may wait. Is the dealer that you got it a large dealer? I am worried that my dealer wont be big enough for that kind of a discount, as it seems they order them directly as needed. They generally dont have too many sitting around in stock, however they started this fall with about 10 I think.

DUMZ;467833 said:
I run a 8' strait hiniker, I really like it. Easy to hook up if you drop it right. Only thing I would say is if you can make it threw this season and buy it at the end you could get a deal... Priced the one I have now last Dec and was about the same as what you said it would cost. Waited till Feb and got mine for $3250!! Saving almost $1000!!

#7 ·
I am closer to Park Rapids. Thanks for your input!

exmark1;467639 said:
There great plows! I have had 4 of them all with excellent results, your from northern MN? By chance if your in or near Brainerd I have bought most of our plows from Ed at Meyer Midwest great to deal with and he stands behind what he sells regardless of how or why it failed!

#8 ·
The dealer I work with has about 10-15 on hand most of the winter and tries to move them before the winter is over... I'm sure it helps that we've done lots of business with them threw the farm (they are also a truck shop) and that the guy I was dealing with was new to the job. I bought the first snow plow he ever sold. Took me about a week to work the deal I got. But I'm sure no dealer out there wants to carry to many threw the summer.

#9 ·
get the 8 if you can, I have a Hiniker 7' homeowner plow and I wish it was at least 7.5
if I had a Jeep it would be perfect at 7'
The mount, wiring and hyd system is the same for the 7-8 foot straight blades
well built except for 2 things the harness plug has to kept real clean to avoid corrosion of the pins and the plow instist on a very level suface for easy removal and install.

Had I done this again I might have gone with a western midweight poly 7.5
it has a nice mounting system little better than the Hiniker

#10 ·
Get the 8.2.

The plug is the weekest link, as mentioned keep it clean and protected.

Mounting it is easy too.

#11 ·
in my case I was on a budget, and looking at the western/fisher homeowner plows
very short light plows with tiny hyd system. I actually got to see one that the guy hit the curb and bent it bad, the steel is much lighter on them then I though, cutting edge is thinner and short too.
Now I went with the Hiniker because it was only 100 more then the fisher/western homeowner ones and was much more built like a normal full sized plow in fact the hyd cylinders hoses pump, mounts,lights and controls are the same as the 7.5-8 foot straight Hinikers. I really liked the Western Midweight poly but they were about 4000 shipped and I was on a budget.

and dont forget your Fluid film :)

#12 ·
Ok MN, here it is....HINIKER has had the same mount, same electrical system, and same power unit from day 1. Nothing is easier to connect or disconnect. HINIKER has kept the snow plow as simple as it gets. I know you said none of the above matter to you and that is ok too, but, what should matter to you is breaking down in the middle of the night out in the cold.

BOTTOM LINE: HINIKER is the lowest maintenance plow on the market.

I have 8' C-Plow on my truck and in 2 seasons, nothing has gone wrong. Many of the people I know who run HINIKER much longer than me have had the same experience, a hose, a solonoid, a cyclinder re-pack and thats about it. Key to it all.....when season is over, make your plow your number one priority.........DO the storage maintenance.

Good Luck with your choice.

#13 ·
I've always been a fan of Western. Although, I bought a truck this year with an 8' Hiniker on it and I love it. It mounts and dismounts fairly easy, the hydraulics are quick, simple yet rugged setup all around, and I like it because everyone is my area says, "whats a Hiniker, I've never heard of them."

I had to replace the 8 pin grill plug because it was not making a good connection. Other than that, I couldn't be happier. In my area, Hiniker is the best kept secret IMO.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone for all the positive input. No new plow here yet but I am close. Actually I was hoping to do it this year for tax purposes but time ran out!

As far as keeping the plug clean what methods do you use? keep the connection generally clean and greased? As far as leveling I am fortunate that the plow will always be stored inside on a concrete floor.

#15 ·
MN_BR;467908 said:
I agree! However I do like the new Western Ultramount as well!
REALLY? Me too!!!!!!!! :D If it was me, thats how I would go, But hiniker does make a really nice plow. I would put it in my top 5 plows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.