*****Connecticut Weather*****

Discussion in 'Weather' started by LR3, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 2000 Club Member

I’m thankful I’m going on a salt run.

2. Brndnstffrd

Brndnstffrd Senior Member
    from CT

Id like to make back the money I spent on my tire puncture the other day, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen at this rate. Also got a wheel bearing on it's way out, looks like i'm eating that one out of pocket too.

3. aclawn

aclawn 2000 Club Member
    from SWCT

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 PlowSite Veteran

well those are nice numbers to look at it

5. fireside

fireside PlowSite.com Addict

Boy,
    With winter never showing up this year again what your guys thoughts on next year? First are you plowing again if so what do you think pricing structures will look like? After looking at the ceiling many nights waiting for the rain I have figured out our new two year average is 3 events that’s it. This year we have plowed only twice with two other salt runs.

If costs of doing business keep going up is it really worth the headaches? No one wants to hear the real cost of snowplowing.

Pa Plowman likes this.
  6. Broncslefty7

i think you are going to start to see a transition of only people that own their equipment out right are the ones doing snow. This year i have 3 leased pieces, if they where not on seasonal accounts it would not be worth it to have those pieces. My caterpillar has 4 more payments until its paid off. that machine sits on per event lots. the pushing has barely covered the payments, fuel, and labor over the past three months.

im excited for everything thats going to be for sale in april.

7. fireside

Good point about owning it all. You really think that’s the key. Someday If I decide to keep doing snow I could own my own loader.

8. Broncslefty7

Salt run tonight....

Anyone else?

9. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I own 7 loaders, a few are surplus to my needs so I decided to rent one out. The guy rented it after we got the big storm in the beginning of December. So since then he has put about 2 hours on the machine and I have collected $7500 so far in rental fees. My accounts are seasonal and my Construction business hasn’t skipped a beat all winter. Life is great up here. Sorry not trying to rub salt on your wounds. Moral of the story is that it’s much better to own then rent

10. Broncslefty7

I have a small excavation company aside from our full time company. We opened it last year, I was very surprised to see the phone ring with a job or two a week up until the end of January. I wasn’t expecting that.

11. fireside

Well it’s been two not so good seasons here for us lowlanders!! So far we got to plow twice. I do have seasonals but also per push. When you have accounts that bring in 12k on a easy season this year 1100 yea do the math. I will say I’m very fortunate to own all my equipment. This season really making me think if it’s worth it

12. Broncslefty7

Ask your sons if it’s worth it. I’m sure they will give you a definitive answer.

13. fireside

Oh I’m sure but I’m the big dog who pays the bills. You should be happy I’m thinking about show them I money you could get a loader operator out of the deal

14. Broncslefty7

Yeah I’m hedging my bets.....

New strategy, get Sean to quit snow....

15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Last year wasn't too bad, this year has been terrible obviously, but I like to look at three year blocks for gauging "if its worth it". Next season will say a lot in that respect; it usually averages out over 3 seasons. Still a few weeks to go before we're out of the woods...

Masssnowfighter and Broncslefty7 like this.
  16. Broncslefty7

Isn’t this what we normally do in January before we get hammered in February and March? Maybe it’s just a month off

FordFisherman likes this.
  17. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

Last year March 4 we got 12-14" here where the Pats play. Lets hope for one like that ?? :drinkup:

18. fireside

Yup that one 14” storm saved my season for sure.

Avalanche 2500 likes this.
  19. fireside

Here is the problem with that thought, if I use past three years yup no more plowing. If I use past two years and next year we’ll very well could be a gold mine of white.

When bidding I use the past four years. When figuring out a seasonal it’s the terms of contract that tells the story!

20. aclawn

aclawn 2000 Club Member
    from SWCT

The midseason raise the *trucewhiteflag*and then we're like :redbounce: in april.:drinkup:Thumbs Upand in thepayup!:usflag::usflag: We know how new england weather works,plenty of time for a few makeup storms,and plenty of cold coming our way in march.:plowred: Last year we got 21" in 4 storms, between 3/8/19 = 4/2/19.Thumbs Up*newusflag*

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Avalanche 2500 likes this.