Compact Sidewalk Machine Help

Collinswinterservices

Hello all,

In the market for a small sidewalk machine after recently taking on a large condominium complex. The walkways are 41 inches wide. I know my options are limited as most machines are 48” plus. The contract allows us to wait to the end of the storm to clear walkways. I’m thinking about purchasing the SSV 2100C with a snow blower. It’s a 34” cut which is the closest I can really find without going over onto the grass, mulch, etc.

Are there any other products out there I should consider?

Thank You Very Much
Troy

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
Hello all,

In the market for a small sidewalk machine after recently taking on a large condominium complex. The walkways are 41 inches wide. I know my options are limited as most machines are 48” plus. The contract allows us to wait to the end of the storm to clear walkways. I’m thinking about purchasing the SSV 2100C with a snow blower. It’s a 34” cut which is the closest I can really find without going over onto the grass, mulch, etc.

Are there any other products out there I should consider?

Thank You Very Much
Troy

Since it sounds like you're waiting for all the snow to fall a blower sounds like your best option. The Toro SSV is a good machine but expensive... As long as you're not salting with it you'll be happy... If salting have a funnel handy to load...

There are also fertilizer machines that have blades but no blowers... These can be used year round. Not sure what you do in the off-season but...

Also not sure of the lengths we're talking here either but you can buy alot of snowblowers too vs. the cost of the ride on machines...

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Not sure if it fits the build for you, but a bobcat 463 or S70 is only 36" wide.

There is a tree company around here that clears miles of sidewalks with a fleet of those little things with v blades attached to the front of them.

Don't know the cost of a SSV, but you can acquire a used 463 or S70 pretty economically.

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic
No, the SSV isn't as easy to fill as a Toro ZSpray or SnowRator, but the rest of it's abilities more than make up for that detail.

It is the only machine that has the options of a blower, broom, plow, or Vplow. With the ability to reverse the rotation of the broom (if you use it) you can drive right up to a door or step and clean it without a shovel.

Multiple snowblowers mean multiple people. According to the inventor of snow a Ventrac replaces 10 shovelers. A bit of an exaggeration but we were able to cut 25% off our route going from a Zplow to an SSV. Used less material as well.

Ajlawn1 is just upset his commission check was cancelled so I could buy a Vplow for my SSV.

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
It is the only machine that has the options of a blower, broom, plow, or Vplow. With the ability to reverse the rotation of the broom (if you use it) you can drive right up to a door or step and clean it without a shovel.

Sounds about like everything a mini skid loader can do... you just have to stand :laugh:

OP
C

Collinswinterservices

Not sure if it fits the build for you, but a bobcat 463 or S70 is only 36" wide.

There is a tree company around here that clears miles of sidewalks with a fleet of those little things with v blades attached to the front of them.

Don't know the cost of a SSV, but you can acquire a used 463 or S70 pretty economically.

There’s an idea I hadn’t considered. Now is there a snowblower attachment under 40 inches.....?

Goodnyou

Bobcat makes a 36 inch blower for the s70. It is fine for snow that has fallen But it will struggle with snow that has been pushed into a pile or already run over with the blower. If it’s wet it won’t throw far. The machine does not have the horsepower. If there is any way you can plow it ? the plow on an s70 is unstoppable . Bobcat plow is 54 inches wide straight and 47 inches angled. Could be too wide but im sure you could find a 48 inch aftermarket plow . Talk to Dennis the manager of bobcat nh he is a straight shooter

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
I would recommend a bobcat s70.
My biggest issue with any skid steer is the HUGE blind spot. I know companies have used s70s and even larger machines on walks, but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable since the stand on machine has been perfected. Perhaps if you’re not backing up at all it may work better.

Jmahoney

My company has miles of walkways. We own 6 ssv units and 3 ventrac 3400's most of the ssv's are trailered with mobile walkway crews and do an amazing job. A bit difficult to load with salt but the brine sprayers rock. Use the brine/salt combo and your done in one pass. The 3400's are used in zero tolerance props where the machine runs from first accumulation to back to black and wet . Much more comfortable for the operator but the brooms are too small and clog, the plows are bulletproof and the blowers are belt driven so keep a few handy.

Top Forums