Snow Plowing Forum banner
401 - 420 of 550 Posts

·
Administrator
3,126 Posts
K. So Phil just posted in the rants thread. The alert popped up. I clicked the notifications and this is what I saw:

View attachment 251098

All the white ones were ones I already clicked on. I hadn't opened the rants thread yet. So I clicked on the very first notification, then went back to the alerts. Now it shows up like this:

View attachment 251099

So now Phils is in white meaing it's read. And in 30 minutes, those are all going to revert to gray as unread.

Am I making sense here? Cuz I feel like I am.
I completely understand what you are saying and I am hoping I can communicate correctly to you. The "unread alerts" are taking a bit to be seen as "Read" and therefore the "darker shaded" alerts are actually the ones that you have already read. So, I believe the alerts are functioning correctly, just taking a longer time then we are accustomed to in order to "refresh". Again, I hope I am making sense to you and I believe that is why you are thinking that they all revert back to being "Unread"

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts
I completely understand what you are saying and I am hoping I can communicate correctly to you. The "unread alerts" are taking a bit to be seen as "Read" and therefore the "darker shaded" alerts are actually the ones that you have already read. So, I believe the alerts are functioning correctly, just taking a longer time then we are accustomed to in order to "refresh". Again, I hope I am making sense to you and I believe that is why you are thinking that they all revert back to being "Unread"
But in my first pic above, Phil's alert is gray. Even though it had just come in and I hadn't clicked on it. Clicking on it immediately turned it white. Meaning it's read now. I'm not sure how else to explain this.

·
Registered
49,885 Posts
I think I understand...but to be blunt...that's just downright asinine and makes ZERO sense.

·
Registered
49,885 Posts
I guess I don't understand still. I assume he's implying that the alerts are lagged, just like the time stamps that say "a moment ago" for 15 full minutes (that's progress, btw) - except that is NOT what seems to be happening. The alerts are responding immediately. But they don't retain the read status. Or am I still not understanding?
I never said what Mike said is happening, just that what he says makes sense...except it isn't happening and if it was it's as bassackwards as something I can think of.

Why would unread show as gray/grey, then click on it and it becomes black then 15 or 30 minutes later it goes back to gray/grey?

In what alternate universe does that even come close to making sense? (assuming I'm understanding what he's saying)

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts
I never said what Mike said is happening, just that what he says makes sense...except it isn't happening and if it was it's as bassackwards as something I can think of.

Why would unread show as gray/grey, then click on it and it becomes black then 15 or 30 minutes later it goes back to gray/grey?

In what alternate universe does that even come close to making sense? (assuming I'm understanding what he's saying)
Here, try this:

Edit: nevermind. I give up.

·
Registered
49,885 Posts
Edit: nevermind. I give up.
Pretty convinced that's the goal of VS...forcing us to give up and live with the least user-friendly and buggy forum software known to mankind.

·
Administrator
3,126 Posts
I will look into this and get back to you, we have an update rolling out tomorrow let us know if anything changes after then. Also, alerts should clear after 90 days, just as an FYI

·
Registered
34,295 Posts

The site will be transitioning from the dedicated support team (who works primarily with helping members transition to the new platform) over to our regular tech support team. Although this means it may take us a bit longer to respond to your questions, we will continue to be here for you and the community.

Community Resources

- Community Management Team
Wise move ootsourcing and letting them deal with the few that struggle. (y)

·
Registered
49,885 Posts
So back to the alerts thing.

Font Electric blue Darkness Multimedia Screenshot

7 were new since last night.

Without counting (had to take my shoes and socks off) how do I know which are read and which aren't?

This makes zero sense....black, gray, 50 shades of gray whatever. They are ALL showing us unread. Or read. Or whatever that shade of gray denotes. This is what happens constantly. Well, constantly since the downgrade.

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
We are aware that the contrast of these alerts isn't always clear. This has been highlighted with the developers and there are plans to work on improving the visibility of these alerts in the future. I do not have a timeframe on when this would be updated as most of the development is on system performance and upgrades to features.

Daniel

·
Registered
49,885 Posts
Has nothing to do with the contrast, it shows EVERY.SINGLE.ALERT as read or unread or whatever convoluted combination they're using.

Why in the world would my read ALERTS change colour to unread ALERTS?? That is just stupid. It should stay one colour. Not change with time. If it's read, it's read. At least in the universe of those with some logic.

And why is EVERY.SINGLE. ALERT the same colour whether it was read or not????????????

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts
Has nothing to do with the contrast, it shows EVERY.SINGLE.ALERT as read or unread or whatever convoluted combination they're using.

Why in the world would my read ALERTS change colour to unread ALERTS?? That is just stupid. It should stay one colour. Not change with time. If it's read, it's read. At least in the universe of those with some logic.

And why is EVERY.SINGLE. ALERT the same colour whether it was read or not????????????
Geez, someone needs an 8am sandwich it seems...

Here, let me know if this helps:
Font Circle Electric blue Rectangle Diagram

·
Registered
49,885 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts

·
Registered
49,885 Posts

·
Registered
34,295 Posts
So back to the alerts thing.

View attachment 251114

7 were new since last night.

Without counting (had to take my shoes and socks off) how do I know which are read and which aren't?

This makes zero sense....black, gray, 50 shades of gray whatever. They are ALL showing us unread. Or read. Or whatever that shade of gray denotes. This is what happens constantly. Well, constantly since the downgrade.
My new alerts show in Ford Magnetic grey/gray/greh.....
Font Technology Screenshot Slope Darkness

And cleared oot/out
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Software Multimedia

Must be operator error.

·
Premium Member
14,188 Posts
My new alerts show in Ford Magnetic grey/gray/greh.....
View attachment 251118

And cleared oot/out
View attachment 251119
Must be operator error.
Huh, interesting... What device/browser are you using?

I just tried switching to dark mode again and this is my alerts:

Font Multimedia Screenshot Darkness Number

Everything save for the top 3 are supposedly unread. Clicking on the 25m ago one and returning still leaves it "unread." And in half an hour, all of them will be gray again. But yours seems to be working correctly. Guess it is user error after all.....

Edit: 5 minutes later and two have reverted to "unread"

Sky Font Technology Darkness Screenshot

401 - 420 of 550 Posts