1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Commercial dragging their feet

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnsrusinc., Nov 8, 2007.

  1. lawnsrusinc.

    lawnsrusinc. Senior Member
    Messages: 141

    I have had a real hard time with many commercial properties dragging their feet on sending back the plowing proposals is alot of you other guys having the same issues?
  2. bribrius

    bribrius PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,609

    might want to give them a nice follow up phone call. they may have decided to go with someone else. better to know that now so you can fill that slot.
  3. powerjoke

    powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,341

    nah. don't worry about it i have alot that don't get returned till snow-fall:rolleyes: then i tell 'em i'm booked but i'll work them in 'cause i'm a good guypayup in hopes of getting them to return a contract a little earlier next year:rolleyes: but no-one seems to care till the white crap is coming, i always anticipate a couple of them doing this so i just leave a little time avail.

    hope this helps?
  4. JeepPlow18

    JeepPlow18 Senior Member
    Messages: 658

    That is very true powerjoke. I did follow up on one account that I bid on and the secretary knew exactly who I was and said we got your bid and you most likely will get it. Then she goes on to say he will let you know in another week. I said that it might snow by then:dizzy: They do this every year and this year was the worst because of those record setting temps, gave them a false sense of security:confused:
  5. 01FordPlower

    01FordPlower Member
    from PA
    Messages: 60

    I work all Spring, Summer and Fall long selling contracts, and I still have a bunch of properties trying to make a decision. Believe it's not just you!!!!!!:nod:
  6. Quality SR

    Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,829

    I agree, people wait until the last minute. They worry about it when it starts snowing. I know it is a pain, if you were deciding how much bulk to buy. If it is anything like that i would give them a call or send another contract and let them know that you want to lock them in because of that reason. Good luck
  7. Scottscape

    Scottscape Senior Member
    Messages: 662

    That's why we give them a deadline, but of course if they call in the middle of a snow storm we will charge them for a 24hr emergency then accept the contract.
  8. LoneCowboy

    LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,760

    follow up follow up follow up
    real phone call to a real person (keep calling til you get the person, don't just leave a message).
    and I agree with the poster above, if it's snowing and you call, it's not the contract rate, it's expensive.
    I haven't done it yet, but I will someday "oh sorry, that proposal expired 7 days ago as you can see on the bottom, let me see if I can put something new together for you, It will, of course, be more"
    some day I am going to do that.
  9. lawnsrusinc.

    lawnsrusinc. Senior Member
    Messages: 141

    Well iam about ready to do the same thing i am just going to say hey that was the price on Nov 1st the price of salt has gone up since then and thats that. I have just been signing up all previous contracts on 3 yr deals so iam not dealing with this every year. But this year my route is much better i dumped ppl i didnt want or like and the ppl that are late i already told them hey i sent them out in sept 1st and have called i know they will sign up they do this every year but its just nice to know!!! I have 4 trucks and 2 loaders to plan for.
  10. forestfireguy

    forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,276

    We are having the same problem, most years we hold to a Nov. 10th signing deadline, due to what could be a couple hundred thousand in business still holding out I don't know when we will be done. Logistically it is a nightmare. I think it has had something to do with the strangely warm weather we have had until recently. The forecast for this area is calling for up to an inch of snow tonight, hopefully that will be enough to get some people to move.......
  11. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 28,362

    You HAVE to put in the bid that price is good until November 1, or whatever day you want.

    I agree with Cowboy, you HAVE to talk with the person making the decision. You can leave a message once, MAYBE twice depending on timing, but you HAVE to talk with the person in charge before October 15th, remind them that you need to know before November 1, or whenever your day is.

    If they don't commit, then just put your foot down and move on to the next property. It's not worth the headache. If the property does it to you year after year after year, you really have no one to blame but yourself for not dumping that property and moving on to a property that doesn't.

    MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,554

    I have seen alot of dragging this year too. Also seems to be that the decision maker is never around. Hard however to draw these lines in the sand and say well if its more when they call later cause honestly I want the work. I try to make a visit in person and call.

    I said the other day, I need it to snow for about 1 hour real hard while I get on the phone and call all the slowpokes. That way they will look out the window and fax back those confirmations.

    I was thinking about adding something next year like "early signing bonus" = $ off your bill or something like that.

    Don't push away your business by being too pushy.