CNC Cut Drain/Grate....long

TJS

PlowSite.com Addict
A local contractor contacted me as they have a requirement where a drain grate is needed to reside over an existing manhole cover. I learned thru pics the manhole cover has large slots in it for drainage allowing the pea stone in the driveway to get into the drainage system. I was never at the site nor did I even have to break out a tape measure. The site/residence is on an island in long island sound. Right off the shore of Westport, CT. I have not seen this house but you can imagine. The requirements were to not allow pea stone to pass thru as that was the driveway stone of choice. I went round and round a little with the contractor's ideas. All of which did not suffice. Finally I told him. Sit tight, let me make a drawing file and I will show you. I do all my drawings on a separate laptop in the house mostly at dinner time. This drawing/file even ran into my dessert time....
The contractor's response was, perfect. After sign off and price agreement I saved the file on my jump drive and headed to my barn-shop where the table is. Had to get some plate first (1/4"). My local steel supply had a drop that was what I needed. In sheetcam I am able to run a report after post processing (creating the cut file). It was 800+ inches of cut and would take 24 minutes of machine time, the plate was 24" in diameter. The slots had to be 3/16" wide so the pea stone cannot pass thru. I did a test cut on some scrap of the slot and measured with a caliper. It was right at .1875". This was my longest machine time to date. I also did a dry run(torch off) to make sure I was good. It was nerve racking cause I could have had scrap in 3 seconds anywhere in the duration of the cutting. Here are the results. It took me about 3 hours total to make this which was longer than I expected but I was careful and did not rush. I even got another job from this by word of mouth.

draingrate.jpg

512high

A local contractor contacted me as they have a requirement where a drain grate is needed to reside over an existing manhole cover. I learned thru pics the manhole cover has large slots in it for drainage allowing the pea stone in the driveway to get into the drainage system. I was never at the site nor did I even have to break out a tape measure. The site/residence is on an island in long island sound. Right off the shore of Westport, CT. I have not seen this house but you can imagine. The requirements were to not allow pea stone to pass thru as that was the driveway stone of choice. I went round and round a little with the contractor's ideas. All of which did not suffice. Finally I told him. Sit tight, let me make a drawing file and I will show you. I do all my drawings on a separate laptop in the house mostly at dinner time. This drawing/file even ran into my dessert time....
The contractor's response was, perfect. After sign off and price agreement I saved the file on my jump drive and headed to my barn-shop where the table is. Had to get some plate first (1/4"). My local steel supply had a drop that was what I needed. In sheetcam I am able to run a report after post processing (creating the cut file). It was 800+ inches of cut and would take 24 minutes of machine time, the plate was 24" in diameter. The slots had to be 3/16" wide so the pea stone cannot pass thru. I did a test cut on some scrap of the slot and measured with a caliper. It was right at .1875". This was my longest machine time to date. I also did a dry run(torch off) to make sure I was good. It was nerve racking cause I could have had scrap in 3 seconds anywhere in the duration of the cutting. Here are the results. It took me about 3 hours total to make this which was longer than I expected but I was careful and did not rush. I even got another job from this by word of mouth.

View attachment 218511

First I spoke or emailed you maybe 4-5 years ago about painting my older fisher Mm1 etc

i think you were fabricating part time then? You were in finance? Anyways your workmanship is perfection, your Dad taught you some great skills!

Reactions: TJS

Chineau

in a previous career I had the opportunity to work with many machinist doing maintenance and repair, your craftsmanship is beautiful.
I will say I'm with Phillybilly on the simple idea though.

Top Forums