Snow Plowing Forum banner

Click sound from steering box area

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  RichG53 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Looking for some help. I have a 2007 2500hd classic. When I turn my steering wheel I hear one click when the wheel is turned past the center either way. I think the sound is coming from the steering box area. And I have also noticed that when I am driving and hit bumps I can now feel what seems to be a vibration coming up through the steering column. The vibration feels like something is loose with in the steering column/box area. I am looking to get the truck ready for snow season to prevent any break downs. Please let me know if you need any other info. Thanks for for your help.

#2 ·
Could be a bad intermediate steering shaft that GM had a TSB on for numerous model years. My '04 K1500 was making rattling noises for some time, before I finally took it in - and had it replaced this spring. Apparently, they just said to grease it on the initial TSB, but GM finally redesigned it, is what i was told. Since mine was out of warranty by the time I decided to take it in, I think it ran me about $200. Don't quote me though, since that shop has been getting plenty of job security from our house this year with our girls continuing to drive our cars into the ground. :dizzy:

If this is what your issue is, it should be covered under warranty.

#3 ·
i had the same problem with my driving shaft on my 2004 2500hd, $100 repair.

#5 ·
The truck warranty just expired 2k miles ago. So I will be going at this alone. Is there something specific I could be looking for to find out what needs to be fixed. What was wrong with your driving shaft, and lower steering shaft? Was the problem visible. How difficult was it to fix. And how bad could this get if the problem in not addressed before winter? Thanks guys.:salute:

#6 ·
bsuds;799137 said:
The truck warranty just expired 2k miles ago. So I will be going at this alone. Is there something specific I could be looking for to find out what needs to be fixed. What was wrong with your driving shaft, and lower steering shaft? Was the problem visible. How difficult was it to fix. And how bad could this get if the problem in not addressed before winter? Thanks guys.:salute:
It cost me $100 to fix it parts and labor at the dealership. Took them a little over an hour. They should know what it is once they take it for a test drive. Good luck

#7 ·
I have not taken the truck in to service yet, but I just heard an additional noise come from the steering box area. When I put the plow on the truck and turned the steering wheel, the steering box area made a whining noise, something that sounded like a stuck pig. I assume the weight of the plow is what has caused the steering box to act up. So I obviously quit turning the wheel and removed the plow. What could this noise be? How much could it cost? :eek:

#9 ·
If you warranty just expired, they probably can push it through. My dad is a service director at a GM store and pushes things through for people all the time. Wouldn't hurt to ask. I've had a steering shaft problem on every GM truck I've had since 2000. You'd think by now they could figure this out. No wonder they can't make any money and ask for a bail out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.