Snow Plowing Forum banner

Cigarette lighter power points...

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  topdogdad1 
#1 ·
On both my 04 Silverado 2500 and 06 Sierra 1500 the right side cigarette/power sockets work, but the left side does not. Is it by strange chance the left ones dont work, maybe bad fuse, or are they different sizes or something that need an adapter?

#11 ·
I've had my dash apart a couple of times installing stuff on my 05 and the two outlets are connected to one supply wire. My guess would be a bad outlet.

#12 ·
Have you had anything installed lately that might have triggered this occurance? I have 7 years audio/video install experience plus fabricating custom stuff. These things run off the same circuit but sometimes each one has its own fuse. Make sure you didn't miss checking any of the fuses. Also make sure you try difference components plugged into it to make sure it's the outlet and not the plug. Sometimes people fail to realize there is also a 2amp fuse inside the plug that goes into the outlet. This part will be a simple process, find a plug that works in the one outlet and try the same plug in the other outlet, still same problem then you know it's the outlet. Some of these plugs are also seperately controlled by the ignition. meaning some will work 24/7 and some will only work with Ignition turn on making it an accessary turn on outlet. i'm not 100% sure of of the new models, i have a 2000 silverado and two plugs work 24/7 and one only comes on with ignition....very weird but thats GM for you. Anywho, if you need plugs that bad i can instruct you on customly putting in your own which you can buy at a Best Buy or Circuit city. They are ALL only 2 wire activation, Power and Ground, nothing else. TRY THIS ALSO....pull them both out, one that works and the one that doesn't, take the wiring to the one that works and plug those wires into the one that doesn't work, if the outlet works now then you know it's the outlet, if it still doesn't work then you have now determined that the problem is between the power source and your outlet. I'll check back on your progress. you can also PM me on this if you like.

Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.