• Vaccine Priority For Essential Snow & Ice Workers?
    Concerned about COVID-19 and/or potential labor shortages? Click here for a letter to health departments from SIMA emphasizing your priority for the COVID vaccine as an "essential" worker.

Chute extensions

JOE SKOWRONEK

I was just wondering how many of you with the v-box spreader in one-tons have the lower chute extension. Dino, I too have a smith spreader but I do not have the extension. I wonder if you have one on yours and if you like it. I did not get one because I wanted the height to give me an even wider spread and if I want a narrow spread I just drop the flaps lower. What do you other guys do?

plowking35

2000 Club Member
Joe isnt the smith a great spreader? I do not have the extensions for the same reasons you dont. Also if need be, I can put the spreader in a p/u with out worrying about the shute dragging. I have seen more than one flatbed with long shutes, that are tweaked cause they went over a or through a large dip, and the shute dragged. With the polyurethane spinner that comes standard on the smith, you really get a nice pattern. The only thing I would like is a variable speed controller, I guess smith makes one, but it is big $$$
ABout $ 400.00 I think.
Dino

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
Extended spinners on all my v-boxes. A must for the F 650, i don't think you can get a spreader for it with out extended spinner. If you could you would be sanding car roofs.

Geoff

OP
J

JOE SKOWRONEK

Dino, the smith is a great spreader. I did not get the variable control either because the factory told me that with the size of the electric motor and set-up there would not be all that much variable control. The smith has a little less volume than a gas motor but I just received my drums of magic so hopefully I won't need the volume of salt to do the same job. I hope to spread faster and get more out of a load now. Dino, I will have to contact you soon about some edges.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
What truck do you have the smith on, I added a 2x8 around the op of mine on edge, and I can now get 3.0 yards heaped on my truck. Also by doing so, I created a lip for the screen to sit in, so I dont have to unbolt it if I need to clear a jam, or shovel material around. I will have to get some pics to show the mods I made.
Geoff, I agree that with the bigger trucks extended shuts are a must.
Dino

SLC1

If it is mounted on a one ton I would personally stay with the short chute. The longer ones tend to get backed up into snow banks, my drivers and myself are guilty of that, but we have three 3 yd sanders on our one tons and only one has the chute extension and I see no difference between the spread patterns or the way the material comes out, this is only my opnion. Just My two cents

diggerman

I have 3 V box sanders and all have the short chutes,for the reason that they are more versitle that way. I know that if I put them in my large trucks they are a little high but I have never had a problem other than covering my tail lights on occation and when I want I can mount them on my one tons. I have 2 10ft sanders that stay with their large trucks so it is not often that the small ones are in a bigger trucks.The one I have mounted in my C60 is mounted directly to the frame so it is at a good height.So I guess if a one ton is as big of a truck as you plan on owning for awhile then maybe the short chute is the best alternative.

OP
J

JOE SKOWRONEK

Dino, I have the smith mounted on a 2000 Chevy K3500 with a backpack toolbox and 8ft dumpbody all aluminum. I don't have any extensions on because my set-up just fits in my garage door. I do heap the salt so I fit around 2 yards. I also have my stobe mounted with wing nuts and trailer plug so I can take it off to fit through the door. I know it sounds like a pain, but I like not having to clean snow off the truck. I know I am lucky I have a garage for the truck in the first place. Down the road, I hope to build a bigger facility to fit even bigger trucks. I'll probably put extensions on the smith then. I know it will still be around.