Snow Plowing Forum banner

Chip or not to??

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Neil64 
#1 ·
Well i used to have a 2001 Powerstroke and i chipped it once it first came out, but that was more for fun and playing. Now that i am going to plow i was wondering if it was worth it or not? I know my truck has plenty of power and not worried about that but was just trying to get some info from guys that are chipped and are not! Let me know, its so simple but just wondering if it is worth the money!!

#2 ·
what kind of and yr truck are you talking about?

there are so many different kinds of add ons now days. chips, tuners, and downloaders. many different brands and different levels of use.

#5 ·
There is no issue running a truck that has a chip for plowing...especially with the 7.3

This will be my first year plowing with my truck since my add ons and all I'm worried about it was tune is going to work best...I'll soon find out...I'm guessing I'm going to use one of my tow settings because that have very good low end and lock the torque converter sooner.

I would be more concerned with trans temps....people that don't have a set of guages and plow with the 7.3 would be dumbfounded at how high the trans temps run. The 7.3 transmission cooler is very small and offers little cooling for a plow truck. Since the torque converter never really has a chance to look up during slow plowing speeds a lot of heat is created. The in dash gauge is absolutely useless, it actually runs off a timer and when it shows a hot condition you trans temp has long been toasted before that.

A 6.0 trans cooler adapted for the 7.3 will eliminate overheating issues completely, my trans temp will never run over 150-160 during hard use. The ford V-10 trans cooler is also much bigger and a direct bolt in replacement, it offers more cooling as well.

#7 ·
DP Tuner

My 00 F250 PSD has a DP Tuner. I haven't plowed with it yet; in fact, the plow isn't on the truck yet, but the 80E tune just makes a night a day difference. I have the F5 switch and can change from stock, high idle, 60 tow and 80E (economy). I fiqure that I can always resort to stock if I am spinning too much.

Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.