Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at moving to either the Chevy 4500 or 5500 for a couple larger accounts and wondered if anyone has problems running a 2wd. Will be going to a 3-4 yard spreader. Midwest climate with most snows under 6 inches. Upgrading from 1 ton dually for more spreader capacity. Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
We have a 5500 2wd with a 4.5 yard striker. It used to have a wideout and it handled it fine. I've since sold the plow and use it as a salt only truck. I've thought about getting a wideout xl for it if I get another salt truck and wouldn't hesitate to do so.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
No opinion on the 2wd yet since my 6500 has limited use in winter so far. IMO the Chevy medium duty have a much different turning radius than 1 ton based trucks. I highly suggest a test drive. For sure I love having my 6500 but there are trade offs. For us we are keeping it as a switch and go truck and backup for plowing to extend its lifespan.

·
Registered
49,885 Posts
I had an F550 with 2WD and a Blizzard 8611, it did fine.

I wouldn't do it again, but it worked.

·
Registered
49,885 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
We are looking at moving to either the Chevy 4500 or 5500 for a couple larger accounts and wondered if anyone has problems running a 2wd. Will be going to a 3-4 yard spreader. Midwest climate with most snows under 6 inches. Upgrading from 1 ton dually for more spreader capacity. Any input is appreciated!
After running a 4 yard spreader on a Kodiak 4500 4x4 for ten years-ish we almost never used 4x4.
We always pre-treat so no traction issues then.
Post-event treatments are also done without traction issues.
We use 3500 4x4's with 2 yard spreaders and 2500's with hitch-mount spreaders during storms while still plowing.

We replaced the 84" CA Kodiak with a 2wd 60" CA Silverado 4500 last year and it is a big improvement.
It turns tighter and fits into areas better without need for multi-point turns or backing.
It also sits much lower and can fit into restaurant and bank drive throughs that the Kodiak could not.

If you can locate a 60" CA 2wd Kodiak that would be ideal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A few other thoughts to consider:
using a 4-yard spreader allows us to service our entire ice melt route with one load and saves at least an hour by preventing a return to the shop for more.
we can create over $6k of income in under 4 hours if there's no traffic to slow us down.
we had a 8.5' ProPlus with ProWings on the Kodiak 4x4 and it was great during heavy snows but we rarely used it.
keeping a plow on a spreader truck is not worthwhile for us as it cuts way down on maneuverability, stopping distance, visibility and speed when spreading.
the visibility of a Kodiak helps greatly over a 2500/3500 both in seeing and even more so in being seen. People tend to get the eff out of our way in a hurry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts