cheap walkway spreader

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
I am looking for a cheap walkway spreader to spread calcium cloride or salt on walkways. It only needs to last a year, so they cheaper it is the better. On line stores? Retail store? Where would you guys go.

Geoff

snow

PlowSite.com Veteran
I'd look into a cheap scotts broadcast spreader, I've used one for a few years to spread salt and sand/salt mix, i've washed it out at the end of the season and use it for fertilizing during the rest of the year. John Parker uses the scotts ones also. You can get them at Home Depot, Lowe's, wal-mart,etc. Most places will sell them.

hope this helps,

Bryan

RB

Cheap Spreader

For a cheap spreader try a Scotts broadcast spreader. About $35 and worth it. The only problem I've had is the small spinner agitator pin breaking. Buy about 25 small cotter pins to use for agitators and remember to hose it out after each use and it will work fine.

But, for those who need the best broadcast spreader for sidewalks and store fronts -- remember the PrizeLawn Bigfoot HVO -- simply the best!

HandyHaver

Geoff,

The scotts spreader at home depot, $35.00, handle folds for easy storage, gears are sealed. Replace cotter pin with spring loaded retaining pin. They also have the hand held ones for those quickies, $9.00.

Mark

Lanelle

We use broadcast spreaders on sidewalks. To keep the chemical from going beyond the edge of the walk, we put handmade side baffles on the bottom, near the spinner. Saves product and keeps it where you wanted it.

iowastorm

Geoff,

We just bought 4 'Virgo'brand broadcast spreaders at Home Depot for $28 a piece. They hold about 50 lbs of material, have a spread flow controller, solid plastic wheels and are cheap. They work okay, but sometimes spread material onto the grass on 4' sidewalks. Perfect for one year, maybe more.

jimsmowin

lesco has one for $40 seems good enough to get couple years out of, have'nt used it yet no weather here. bought one 3 yrs ago at lowes, cheap- $24.00 still going strong. only used for walks.

OP
G

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
Well I was going to buy 4 Virgro Home Depot spreaders. However I bought 2 "commercial grade" spreaders also sold at the home depot. I spent the extra money for the commercial ones, because of bigger capacity, better tires, and drive train.

We will see how they work out, very soon I am sure.

Geoff

HandyHaver

As I was putzing around in the garage today I came up with a modification for the scotts spreader. I was reading all the other mods. in this post but was looking for something without sharp edges. I had a few pieces of vinyl sofit laying around from a porch I did. Anyway I cut a piece the width of the side of the hopper, attached it with a few sheet metal zip screws & washers through the nailing slots. Then I cut the piece of vinyl between the nailing slots making the slots longer and allowing the vinyl to slide back and forth to adjust from walk to drives. It ain't pretty but I think it'going to work. My wife is about ready to commit me because I was walking up & down the street testing it on the neighbors walks & drives................ I got too much time on my hands. I NEED SOME SNOW!!!!!

MJ

Thanks for the tips. Been wondering how I could spread salt better where my drive meets the road. Went to Home Depot today (25 mile trip) and got a VIRGO spreader for $29.95. Spread some calcium chloride today since we're expecting rain/ice tonight. Works great.

Now we need snow.

Mick