Central Indiana Thefts

ceaman

Central Indiana look out.

The local Meyer dealer warned me that they have had more than a dozen people in the past couple weeks who were getting estimates for replacemnt parts. It seems that someone is torching framework to get pumps and other parts.

One guy even reported that while hunting he saw someone near his truck. Thinkning it was the DNR he approached the truck, the group loaded in thier pickup and rushed off, pulling the torch hoses in the bed of the truck as they were driving away. The guy found that they had pulled the harness thru the firewall, silenoid unmounted, and half of the frame bolts torched. Left unable to chase them as he couldnt raise the plow.

jbutch83

We took a report from a local dealer, someone had called about new lights for a Western ultramount. Seems the guy on the phone was not happy with the price, so he went to the dealer at night, and stole the lights off of an assembled unit outside. Can't understand why the dealer leaves all of his plows outside, maybe he will start storing them inside. (He has the room)

John

SnowMatt13

PlowSite.com Addict
a landscaper in our area had an entire uni-mount plow stolen a few years ago. police figured vehicle that stole it had the uni-mount system on it. not to much help because WESTERN plows are on 85% of the truck out here. So, keep your plow inside if at all possible. and if you're reading this and you've ever taking something from a plower or off someone elses vehicle that plows....I hope you hit a fire hydrant and wreck both the stolen plow/parts and your truck!!:nono:

fordman

I agree with OffRoadPlow. If I was hunting and saw that happening to my truck I know what I would have done.
:gunsfiring:
Plows are definitly to easy to steal. With the right equipment you could take everything except the plow sub frame and truck side wiring in less than five minutes

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
When I was in High School, we used to always be changing radios, trading tires and wheels with friends, swapping carbs for tires, etc. One swap I ended up with a unique car alarm. It came with a pager. I had an underhood siren for it, but never wired it up. I wanted to get a page and catch whoever it was redhanded. The alarm would set off the siren and the pager at the same time.

Instead of pin switches, it came with vibration sensors. They were sticky backed, and you mounted them on the door jambs. There was a set screw on the control unit, to set the sensitivity of the sensors. I had it fine tuned so if you even lifted the door handle quietly, it set off my pager. Never got paged and caught anyone, but it did go off a few times. I don't know if it was a door slamming on a car parked next to mine or what. The unit was like $60 back then. I would imagine today's alarms systems might have provisions for adding sensors (or pin switches). For instance, most alarms have provisions for 4 doors, and most trucks have 2. I would add sensors to the plow frame. :D that would set off the siren.

You guys that have plows stolen from home, need to go to Radio Shack. Just like motion sensing lights most people put by their front door, or on the roof over the garage, they make motion sensors that will ring a bell inside the house. I would rather get up because a stray dog went through my driveway than wake up and find my plow gone.

~Chuck

mike9497

forget that alarm crap.they steal the whole truck around here.i lost my keys once and i got in my truck and fired it up in about 10 minutes.people who live 3 houses down had 3 cars taken in the course of a year.found them all gutted within hours in bridgeport which is a 45 minute drive from me.i would rather steal the whole truck then get 5 guys together with torches to steal something worth 3000 then have to pay off your buddies and load that heavy A** thing in the back of a truck.

phillyplowking1

I had a plowframe stolen out side my house I had it chained up and someone cut the chain and took the frame.About a month later i saw it on a truck so i got the tag number and showed the cops the marking i left on the frame and got it back.

mike9497

same here bwhite all new western plows this year but theres people out there who would love to have one for free.people even steal are christmas decorations because there to cheap to go buy a reindeere for 50 bucks.

OP
ceaman

ceaman

Yes MBD I did get one stolen last year..... January in fact. now the plow is either hanging in the up position or hidden in a garage. (not at home like before!)

Top Forums