1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

CDL for a pickup

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by fordplower, Nov 2, 2008.

  1. fordplower

    fordplower Junior Member
    from sw wis
    Messages: 6

    hey guys

    i have been told i need a CDL and DOT# for my 3/4 ton and 14,000# gooseneck or 12,000# skidloader trailer

    Can anyone help me?:confused:
  2. grsp

    grsp Member
    from indiana
    Messages: 89

    are you kidding?

    i have to say that this is a topic that chaps my ass the most. don't get me wrong, we all had to start somewhere. but lets all compete at the same legal requirements. so the answer to your question is YES. you need DOT numbers, insurance, and pay taxes. it is against the law to operate without any of the above mentioned. so is it fair that you can work for $45 an hour, and not pay for any of the above mentioned. not trying to be an *******, but the fly-by-nighters are ruining this industry.

    p.s. - what are you using all this equipment for in the summer that doesn't require a DOT number?
  3. Plowfast9957

    Plowfast9957 Senior Member
    Messages: 280

    I have to ask why people always ask this question. Why not just get the license and not have to worry about it? If a cop does pull you over its just one less thing he can write you up for.
  4. bribrius

    bribrius PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,609

    panties in a bunch? guy asked a simple question. Looks like your making quite a leap here with that statement.
  5. RLM

    RLM PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,270

    I believe in NY trailer over 10,001 requires CDL A. Double check in your state. Mine are all 9900 or therabout.
  6. LoneCowboy

    LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,760

    I see by your sig you are in wisc.

    The system has determined that you need to file a Form MCS-150 (Motor Carrier Identification Report). (aka gets you a USDOT number)

    It says you do. (fill it in yourself, I just guessed at your situation)
    So, you do need a USDOT number (free BTW, just a lot of paperwork to track)

    CDL would be for your state, check your DMV for Wisc web site, it will tell you. In some states the more than 10,000lb trailer throws you into CDL land, but not typically.

    According to fmcsa.dot.gov


    I am an intrastate non-hazardous-materials motor carrier (my cargo or vehicle NEVER leaves the state that I am registered in). Do I need a USDOT Number? 431

    The answer varies from state to state. In most states, intrastate non-hazardous-material motor carriers do not require a USDOT Number, but several States participate in programs such as PRISM, which does require intrastate motor carriers, with or without HazMat, to have a USDOT Number. If you do not know whether your state requires intrastate motor carriers to have a USDOT Number, contact the Office of Motor Carrier Safety field office in your state. For a listing of State offices, go to the FMCSA Field Roster.

    How do I determine whether I am subject to FMCSA's safety regulations? 101

    If you operate any of the following types of commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce you must comply with the applicable U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) safety regulations concerning: CDL: controlled substances and alcohol testing for all persons required to possess a CDL: driver qualifications (including medical exams); driving of commercial motor vehicles; parts and accessories necessary for safe operations; hours of service; and inspection, repair and maintenance.

    (1) A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating (whichever is greater) of 4,537 kg (10,001 lb) or more;

    (2) A vehicle designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;

    (3) A vehicle designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers; or

    (4) Any size vehicle used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. 5101 et seq.) and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR chapter I, subchapter C).

  7. grsp

    grsp Member
    from indiana
    Messages: 89

    no, panties aren't in a bunch. but thanks for asking. and maybe my response was a drastic leap, but fair is fair. the market is swamped with joe the homeowners that decide to throw a plow on his truck. don't get me wrong, plenty of work for everyone. just play by the rules. for example, everyone knows, work-comp rates for our industry is one of the highest. i guess i am just irritated. received a ticket last week for not having emergency triangles in 1 of my DOT numbered trucks. can you believe a $150 fine. maybe this should go into a different topic.
  8. 042500hd

    042500hd Senior Member
    Messages: 251

    :eek: WOW.
    CDL requirements and DOT numbers are on a state by state basis. Are you sure about the requirements of his state. In NY I believe it's based on your truck or truck and trailer weight combination 10,001 lbs. and you need a Class B I think. My wife would know better as she had doen some teaching for the NYS DOT. He didn't ask about insurance. I know a couple small landscape contractors that work on $40-$50 an hour and fair just fine paying for all the above that you mentioned. They're not getting rich but they're doing ok.
  9. cretebaby

    cretebaby PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,162

    Maybe you need to go out and kick the dog a couple of times to cool off
  10. NBI Lawn

    NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,797

    In MN you need one for any vehicle combination 26,001lbs+. You technically also need a health card to pull ANY type of trailer used for profit, meaning if you have Joe Blow pulling your mowing trailer he needs a health card. This is only for commercial applications, you can pull a 15,000lbs camper all day with a class C
  11. bribrius

    bribrius PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,609

    so what are you saying, everyone should buy a camper and put skid steers in it? some lawnmowers?
    sounds good to me. Good thinking i think you got a great idea there.
  12. blowerman

    blowerman PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,275

    I believe the answer is yes and yes. And I agree, why don't you just go out and get a CDL and then there will be no worries if one is needed or not.
  13. cretebaby

    cretebaby PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 4,162

    You DO need a DOT number

    You DONT need a CDL for that weight combo

    If your truck and trailer add up to be over 26,001 lbs or over than you DO need one

    If your trucks is 26,000 or less and the trailer is 10,000 or less than you DONT need one

    Does this help?
  14. DBL

    DBL PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,310

    gvw over 26k (this means 26001) combination or not
  15. WetChicken

    WetChicken Senior Member
    Messages: 132

    As I know it, anything with a GCVW over 10k needs numbers, and a DOT card.
    A CDL is needed for 26k+. A CDL is not needed if under 26k, even if it has air brakes. Been there, done the latter- it is a fact.
    So, even if you are hauling a car, hay, or whatever for yourself, DOT will see that trailer and expect you to have numbers, DOT card, etc.
    Spend a few dollars now and save yourself the hassle. Call your local friendly DOT and forget us clowns and get the right answers. =] I have found most officers are friendly enough even if you stop at scales that are open.

    BTW I did 47k miles in the last year or so in a TT.

  16. musclecarboy

    musclecarboy 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,303

    Yeah even if you pull 10,001# with your minivan (I know, its just an example) you need numbers. If the vehicle alone has a GVW or GCVW of 26,001 then you need numbers.

    Wierd example... if you pull 8k# with a 19k# F-550, you need numbers. Either vehicle alone won't need them, but combined its over the 26k mark.

    Just get the damn CDL and don't worry about it, I'm getting mine next spring.
  17. lumps

    lumps Senior Member
    Messages: 365

    Wow, some of you guys really jumped down his throat on this one. He never said he was trying to get away without getting the stuff, just asking if it was required for his particular situation.
  18. NBI Lawn

    NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,797

    I am saying that any Joe blow can pull a huge trailer for recreation but the second you try pulling anything, such as a lawn mower, for hire you need at minimum a health card.

    Also, FYI you do need an air brake endorcement under 26K. Thats why you typically dont see trucks under 26K with air brakes.
  19. Mark Oomkes

    Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,256

    Holy cow man, take a Valium. I can sort of understand the DOT #, but the CDL question is debatable.

    I'm still liking you bri, see what a good influence SF, PJ and I can be?

    Thank you, someone else who understands it the way I do.

    Because it might not be just a matter of 'me' getting the license, but also a matter of who operates that vehicle\combo and whether or not he now has to get into all the crap that goes along with CDL drivers and the med cards. Gets really expensive quick.

    Same way I understand it and have been told.

    fordplower, your first name wouldn't happen to be scott, would it? ;)
  20. MSS Mow

    MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 983

    Holy crap, dude. Take a freakin chill pill. If the guy knew the answer, he probably wouldn't have asked the question.

    Also, if he knew you'd be such a dick, he probably wouldn't have asked either. If you don't want to answer, then don't. But don't answer and then be a complete as*hole!!

    He may be completely legal and work for $30 an hour. So be it. Good for him. But don't sh*t on him about a whole bunch of other crap when he only asked one question.