Snow Plowing Forum banner
65701 - 65720 of 65749 Posts

· Registered
17,474 Posts
Limped into the dealership with def code.
2 km left till restricted 8km/hr lol FS
Why some engineer thought this was a good idea I don't know. It's a def heater code, 117km.
New tank and heater installed under warranty..back up and going. Hopefully that was it and not something else
I wonder if anyone has ever thought it would be easier to make def fluid that doesn't freeze rather than heating it. JMO but I'm not paid the big bucks.

· Registered
333 Posts
Why some engineer thought this was a good idea I don't know. It's a def heater code, 117km.
New tank and heater installed under warranty..back up and going. Hopefully that was it and not something else
I wonder if anyone has ever thought it would be easier to make def fluid that doesn't freeze rather than heating it. JMO but I'm not paid the big bucks.
Because their designed by the same engineers that decided to put the PMD (Pump Mounted Driver, the box with all the electronics) right on top of the hottest part of the engine in my 1999 GMC 6.5L just so it could fail later on at any time without warning.

Then put it under the term "campaign" so when you asked if there was any warranty they could say no.

If Toyota ever made a 3/4 ton you could say goodbye to the big 3.

· Registered
17,474 Posts
The def code triggers a derate in the engine.
If not fixed in a certain amount of km it derates to a max of 104 km/hr for 120km,
If still not fixed it derates again to 88km/hr for 120km. The next derate limits it to 8km/hr.
I have no idea how long that's for, but I can tell you traffic gets a little peeved if you drive 88 in an 80 zone out here
None of my tuners will clear the code..

· Registered
58,817 Posts
The limp mode is udder bull$hit. When I was on my way to Fargo a few years back this happened.

The only thing that was "wrong" was the DEF injector was only working at 33%.

· Registered
58,817 Posts
Didn't you cross a bumpy set of RR tracks and that stuff fell off?
With the plow down...and the plow in carry mode.

Shortly after it was repaired, stuff fell off. The DEF injector has never acted up since. Come to think of it, the DEF tank has never emptied since either.

· Registered
17,474 Posts
If it weren't for the fact that MTO pulls me over at min 4 times a year it would be sitting on Stephen Guilbeaults desk.
If it weren't for the fact that I would have to tow it to Ottawa so I could still manage the 104km/hr needed to bury it in his office.
Anyone who has tuned a truck and realized the fuel savings, power gains and enhanced reliability knows this is all pollitical posturing paid for by a sheepish taxpayer.
God I sound like I should be in a truck convoy.

· Registered
58,817 Posts
If it weren't for the fact that MTO pulls me over at min 4 times a year I would it would be sitting on Stephen Guilbeaults desk.
If it weren't for the fact that I would have to tow it to Ottawa so I could still manage the 104km/hr needed to bury it in his office.
Anyone who has tuned a truck and realized the fuel savings, power gains and enhanced reliability knows this is all pollitical posturing paid for by a sheepish taxpayer.
God I sound like I should be in a truck convoy.
Kinda sound like me...even worse, I know.

65701 - 65720 of 65749 Posts