1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Canadian Weather+++++Snow"

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Daner, Oct 25, 2006.

1. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

When I plowed with a 644 JD loader, removals were 2, maybe 3 buckets per tri-axle. Blowers I think work better with fresher snow, before it ices up as a big chunk of ice. Loaders I find can scrape the ice off the pavement nicely, not sure how the blowers compare that way.

I also know of places that use blowers to 'stack' snow, makes an impressive pile.

JD Dave likes this.
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

For years our town used a local to do the downtown removals a couple times a year with skids and loaders.
    A few years ago he got underbid, and the new contractor a young company, came in with skid and tractor blowers to do the job. Our main streets are county roads sidewalks are municipal and there was no communication. The blowers in a confined space put a dusting on everything (including several of the downtown lots I maintain) Sometimes a good idea needs to be thought through, these guys while efficient in their job made a mess for a lot of people.

3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Same here.. everything basically held it... +2 all night????

4. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

This has to be the slowest moving clipper I have ever seen, glad its mostly melting on the ground here as well.

SHAWZER likes this.
  5. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Washed my truck , took the blade off again , and crossed my fingers no snow for a week .........

6. Hysert

Got some trailers done ready for safety.. took the snows off the pickup... had a orange sales truck in the driveway?? Also getting all my insurance policies quoted by another company? So far my pickup insurance has gone down $500... Guess longterm loyalty to one company was not what it turns out to be...

7. Mr.Markus

I had a go at my insurance last year, my broker handed down a 20% increase and shrugged at me. He explained that what he does for loyal customers now has no bearing on their prices anymore.
    I hacked the CEO of economicals email basically copying and pasting his/my email exchange. In doing some research I learned that economical was going through a demutualization and seemed to be shedding policies using this huge increase tactic.
    A day after my email my phone rang from their executive office, my increase was slashed to 6%. But it stirred up a lot at the brokerages and a lot of people's rates were reevaluated by economical. Insurance as we know is huge business but don't underestimate what you can do nowadays.
    Trucking friends of mine have started their own self insurance with some of their competitors, I had an interesting conversation on Sat night , some of you bigger snow players might want to look into it.

http://www.canadianunderwriter.ca/features/creative-captives/

8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Home Insurance is just as screwed up -

So my mom dies, and I notice the price goes from $1300 a year, to $1800 - not the end of the world, but kinda was odd to me that it hadn't moved much at all until then, but then I thought, they must somehow know that my dad has Alzheimer's, so maybe higher risk... and caregivers, so yeah, justified it in my head.

Following year, goes from $1800 to $4200 - and I show my wife, because she does all of our stuff, and I think.... that's a bit much right? She looks at me like I am an idiot and says we pay $1100 a year, and that's crazy.

I now am pissed, because my parents had been with this company for 40plus years, and all insurance was with them, and they had (according to the bill) every possible loyalty and multiple discount.

I call in, and get told that's the best they can do, I go to the Umbudsperson, who says this is normal, I tell them they are crazy, and got three other quotes for around $1100 - made no sense to me then, and still doesn't!!! But I will take the savings.

Loyalty means nothing to these companies.

JD Dave likes this.
  9. Mr.Markus

That is crazy.
    I'm glad the estate I'm handling isn't my money cause there were guns in the house...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    JD Dave likes this.
  10. schrader

schrader PlowSite.com Addict

JD Dave and Hysert like this.
  11. Mr.Markus

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I have a 4 year old 9-15 machinability which is twice the blade of a hla, for sale for $6500, skidsteer quick tach, electric diverter... priced a new one was $12,000

13. Hysert

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen 2000 Club Member

15. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

It says medium duty trucks so that's what I'm thinking.

16. Mr.Markus

I'm stuck on the words conventional cab, can't decide whether they mean pickup cab or like the 4500/5500 they have today. Or is it only the gm power train on a navistar chassis.

17. Pristine PM ltd

Kinda a nice ** to ford no?

18. Mr.Markus

Ford people talk funny...

19. Pristine PM ltd

Apparently they do, apparently they do.

JD Dave likes this.
  20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I've been following this quite closely over the past 2 years and what I've read it's gonna be a duramax engine, Allison transmission, terrastar frame, axles, suspension, with a gm designed cab and each truck will have its own hood / headlights between gm/chevy/international