1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can i get away with 1 fresh tire?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by theIceNSnowman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

I got a flat tire today as I am backing up at my buddies house. He has an old telephone pole, with a big ass bolt sticking out the side, laying kinda just off his driveway. I heard a loud poof! and then all the air come out in like 2 seconds, Bolt in the sidewall. Awesome.

I still have the stupid continentals from the factory on, so I put the full size spare on. It is the same exact tire as the other 3, it's just brand new. Here's my question...

Is there any reason why I cant roll with one tire brand new and 3 tires with 30k on em?

They still have decent tread. I would put it on the matching rim if I just roll with it and buy another tire for spare.

I was going to buy tires this spring anyways and dont really want to have to buy a set of tires right now.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Sure what happens in middle of night you have blow out Will the snow stop wait till you fix it

3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

swap the spare to the new rim, buy a used tire for the spare, roll on donkey kong. I do it all the time at my shop for customers.

4. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

either way I know I need to buy a spare. Used spare makes sense.... Thanks gss. Not going to hurt the other 3 tires?

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

6. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

no it wont hurt. the tread wear on a same sized tire is not enough to make any sort of differance, a brand new tire 10 lbs low on air is much shorter than a tire with worn tread.

7. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Send the telephone company the bill!

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would do the swap and then when you get to a point to replace the other 3 tires, I'd take the good one you have and put it back onto the spare rim.

But, if you need to buy a new spare, then it might not be worth it.

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

First off, the factory Conti's never had decent tread. They are crap.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

10. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

Yes I agree these contitracs aren't desirable. With some weight she does pretty good though. Almost through the season, so she will be ok til I get new tires in the Spring. Looking at cooper at3's.

BTW for how crappy these tires are, they are 250 plus mounting replace 1. Whats that all about? I guess cause I have 18 inch wheels? 275 70 18

I found a used tire, same size. 60 bucks. Going to put the full size spare tire on the factory rim, mount the used one to the spare wheel. Thanks for advice guys. This made the most sense.

11. theIceNSnowman

theIceNSnowman Member

PS, FORD should def put a better tire on from factory. My jeep came with goodyear wranglers. Not bad, but very expensive. Are the prices jacked cause thats what factory uses? Lots of replacement tires sold?

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I tend to agree, the only place the Conti's are good for is the Sahara or the Outback.

Anybody that sees rain or snow, they are a hazard.

13. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Put it on the right rear and power brake 30K off it !

14. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Put the $60 used tire on the factory wheel, and put the spare back where it belongs. Then get your 4 new Cooper AT3's in the spring. No wheel swapping this way.

15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Seeing as you need to have a spare either way, you have two options;

1) Buy one brand new tire that matches the "spare", and swap the used tire to the spare rim.
    2) Buy two brand new good tires to put on the driving rims, put the spare back under the bed.