1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Cable Conversion

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Leisure Time LC, Mar 5, 2011.

  1. Leisure Time LC

    Leisure Time LC Senior Member
    Messages: 723


    I recently purchased a truck and plow with the old cable style conventional mount and want to convert it to a newer style electric controller. Is there a conversion kit available?
  2. got-h2o

    got-h2o 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,440

    Nope. You need a new power unit, harness and controller. A Unimount plow complete would probably cost less than going that route.
  3. mishnick

    mishnick 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,353

    As I understand you can install a newer Isarmatic electrically controlled pump and valve body assembly on the old cable operated frame assembly but as Got-h20 said it is probably not very practical. The cable controlled plow is a completely different creature than the electric. Cable systems keep a large part of the plow frame on the truck when the plow is off. The plow motor is actually hard wired to the battery, that is there is no quick disconnect because it would be too much trouble to remove the control cables. On the electric models the whole plow assembly comes off and all that remains on the truck is the mount. If you haven't mounted the plow yet you may want to reconsider, or just keep it with the cable controls.