Snow Plowing Forum banner

Buying used plow question

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fivepoints 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a used plow and see a lot forsale without wiring for truck and mounting hardware on truck. Any idea how much I should tack on to cover this. Also any tips about buying used plows would be appreciated. Ie pumps and cylinders

I do mostly residential and commercial sidewalks so the plow is just to help me out on some resi's as I have a feeling this winter is going to be substantial.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

#3 ·
Your looking at 200-300 for wiring harness. If the plow dosent come with good working lights youve got another 200-400 there. The side plates are from 100-200 perside and then the center piece is about 400. So safely I would say about 1000 bucks if the plowing your buying didnt come off a similar truck. But you can always scan ebay/ craigslist for parts.

When buying a used plow your looking for any broken welds and bends to the mold board or A-frame. Your looking at how worn is the cutting edge? and is it wearing even? Your also looking at dose the trip work like it should or are the pins froze up. And you looking for slop at any of the holes like the king pin or angle cylinders. The rust or pitting on the cylinders isnt really a problem enless its bad. But they can all be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.