1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I am going to be buying a newer truck. I want to stick with a 1 ton, but there are a lot more 3/4tons readily available. Will I be able to put a 1.5yd spreader, and fill it full of salt in a 3/4 ton truck? Any advice will help my decision. I know 1 tons are best!

2. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I have a Dodge 2500 Diesel with a salt dogg shpe 1500 in the back and i heap it full and a western wideout on the front and i have no problems. it handles it all fine. I do have a leveling kit as well as timbrens on the front.

3. nh785

nh785 Member

Be able to? Yes. Be grossly overloaded? Yes. Open youself to liability? Yes.

Even a 1 ton would be overloaded with a 1.5 yard speader full with a plow.

4. Brant'sLawnCare

I just want to make sure I'm not going to be snapping springs all the time.

5. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

We have been doing it for years and have not snapped springs or had any troubles. My 2500 dodge spread over 90 tons of salt this year through the 1.5 yard salt dogg with no issues.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I had 4 springs ( 2 on each side) added to the rear of my 2500... cheap to do and makes a world of difference hauling material around

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Were you able to do them yourself?

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Sorry, just got back from camping..... you could do them yourself but I think the guy only charged like $100 labor to install them... after seeing the tweeking he went through to get it sitting the way I wanted it I thought the $100 labor was money well spent... I think i spent $450 for everything