buying a truck with a contractor box on it

sirsweatsalot

Banned
im looking at buying a truck with a contractor box on it and hoist... i was wondering if i could take to contractor box off and put a flat bed on and still have a hoist? would this be posible and/or would this be a lot of money and a waste of time.
thanks!

OP
S

sirsweatsalot

Banned
it mounts to the bed. there or no tool boxes on it its more like a landscape bed i guess with the tail gate and two sides that fold down.

Arc Burn

PlowSite.com Addict
When you take it off,pay attention to the way it is supported underneath,on top mount it is plated and braced inside the toolbox,i would assume this is braced off the frame and you wouldn't notice losing any bed space in a contractor body because it's already narrow but if you braced off the frame on a flat bed you would tie up some room,maybe not?

cat320

2000 Club Member
Well if i was you and i was going to change over bodies i would sell the the dump body with hoist as a package deal then just get a new one with a flatbed .Then you start out fresh with new hoist for your new bed.The flatbeds are chaep compared to the one that you have on it now.

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
Yup, we call it a mason dump here too (in fact, someone asked what a mason dump was in another thread).

Why would you want to change it to a flat bed? In a way, it already is a flat bed, only better. By thatI mean the sides fold down, and are removable. The tailgate folds down, and is removable. The cab protector is worth more than you can imagine, compare to a flatbed. Remove the tailgate and sides, and you have a sturdy flat bed.

Remember, in the event of an accident, whatever you have on the bed better be secured well, or it will go flying into the back of the cab, and could be fatal. I would rather have the cab protector on the mason dump body than nothing, or something not as strong.

~Chuck

OP
S

sirsweatsalot

Banned
well thanks for the advice im thinking i might just keep that bed on there. BUt i might just get the whole thing blasted primed painted... i guess it is a pretty sweet deal. my dad pointed out being that i woud be useing if for chemicals for lawns in the summer it would be better for getting the last bit of liquid out of it and a snap for cleaning it... as well as 101 other uses that might come up in the future. Mason dump huh, i like 1 ton dump.
thanks

mike9497

i would keep the mason dump.you can do alot more with it.like install a tailgate sander.i've made some nice leaf boxes for those dumps,but yes a flat bed is easier to make.more places to mount strobes to.plus the cab protector is the way to go.

Top Forums