bulk salt prices

CT18fireman

Banned
$55 a ton here. Was told I could get a "good discount" if I buy a bulk amount. Not sure what that means. Will be finding out more this week as salt and sand is on my punch list.

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
$49 a ton, including trucking. Still waiting on the price if we pick it up.

Also, still waiting on pricing from With A Grain Of Salt. Last year, WGS gave us a locked in price of $38 a ton, picked up at the port. Delivered was $43 - $47 a ton.

~Chuck

Big Nate's Plowing

PlowSite.com Addict
20 ton? that's like not even a full load. We usually use 35 ton per storm. Maybe you meant 20 loads?

I am glad that you are the one applying 35 tons per snow.

Last year we got a whole 8" and used 1 ton out of 5 that we had at the shop... and yes I meant 20 tons.

~Nate~

SnoJob67

Last year was our second year doing snow. We put out almost 20 tons during a heavy icing event last season, but closer to 12 tons was our norm.

We are most likely to grow by 50% this season, so those numbers will increase by about 50%.

For those who have yet to figure it out, salt is where all the money is at. If you are only plowing, you are missing out on the majority of your potential income.

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
"For those who have yet to figure it out, salt is where all the money is at. If you are only plowing, you are missing out on the majority of your potential income."

Exactly. You will typically plow once suring a storm, but salt twice.

Do the math. payup payup payup

~Chuck

Ohiosnow

Chuck, I've got to disagree not all the money

I think it makes a big difference as what your contracts say, all mine are 2" start plow & every 2" after. A 6.5" snow means I plow 3 times example 1 lot I do is $750.00 every 2" if I salt it's only $450.00 & if I salt the whole lot the snow might not stick & only get to plow twice. ;) So I plow 3 times =$2250.00 & salt the entrance, exits & drives twice $250.00 & salt entire lot 1 time for $450.00. :D Total is $2950.00 now that's making the most $$$$$ out of a snow. If I plow & salt twice it's only worth $2400.00. I understand each & every place is different so plow triggers & contracts are different as to location state to state.

Now if it's only a 1.5" snow I do salt so in that regard I make $450.00 so if you don't have a salt spreader you're not making easy money for the taking ;) .

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
Naturally it will vary from company to company too. It is less overhead to send out your crews to salt than to plow. The profit margin is higher salting than plowing.

You might need 5 drivers to plow your route(s), but only 2 to just salt them.

I was actually quoting SnoJob, but also agreeing with him :)

If a 3" - 4" storm is forecasted, we pre salt the entire lot. Then plow at the 2" trigger. Then salt again. Then plow the remainder, followed by another salting. All of these saltings are aimed at preventing the bond from forming, and preventing hardpack. We charge "per application" for salt. It might be a light application, or a heavy one, it is at our descretion. We typically apply light, unless conditions (temps) call for a heavy one.

The main gist is that salting is a profit center that many plowers miss out on. That we all agree on.

~Chuck

Top Forums