Snow Plowing Forum banner

brickman subcontracters

6K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  dmontgomery 
#1 ·
any information at all would be great. i might be plowing for them this year. just curious thanks.

#3 ·
Go for it, they have a lot of work. Works good for me

#7 ·
Scottscape;849232 said:
Are they hourly too?

Peabody wants to give me the plowing but not the salting. both or nothing!
Ya hourly, salt is also an issue sometimes.

#8 ·
nekos;849269 said:
A lot of work they do have. I see their trucks every where in my area. That being said i don't know one person that does or has ever worked for them. lol

Do they pay good ?
Well now you do LOL! They pay.

#10 ·
One thing ive learned about working for other companies is that you can go in the door with no salt work but 50% of the time you will end up spreading salt for them.

#11 ·
payy is verrrry good, from the day you send your invoice in, you can usually count on a check being in your mailbox on the 15th-17th day.....unless you take forever to send your invoice in, in which case they take their time on paying

work is good, organized & most of the time theyre there to help you out, ive even had their mechanics help me out by fixing/welding my plows or loaning tools

the only thing that sucks is yes, many times they will do their own salting, many times if its a weekend storm, you wont get a call @ all to go out and work (theyll do it themselves) or lastly theyll call you at 4am and need your designated sites open for biz by 7am,....who wants to go out and work 3 hours??

but other than those three things, id work for brickman in a heartbeat over any other one of the 5 "big guys" ive worked my equipment for

#12 ·
Well said!!! Im going with what silver said! I agree 100%

#13 ·
is brickman requiring digital pictures this year?

#14 ·
no not this year but i always take them any way of everything just in case. The pics bailed me out of a situation at the end of the season! Well worth the effort!

#15 ·
Mike S;849665 said:
no not this year but i always take them any way of everything just in case. The pics bailed me out of a situation at the end of the season! Well worth the effort!
This will be the 1st year that I'm being asked to snap photos. Do you typically complete your route and then go back and take pics when it's light out or can you get a decent picture at 3am?

#16 ·
good on brickman, glad to see that some large companies are still reputable

#17 ·
Brickman isn't really reputable. The local branches that you guys are referring to for subbing to might be okay, but here is the problem. Brickman Facility Services - still same company is trying to be like a USM or any other national company! They won all of our Lowe's stores here locally this year, and yes they sub out the work through BFS not even to their local branches because it is bid so low. On top of that they won some of the Groger stores here, and they contacted us about taking care of them. Here are the details:
1. No Walks
2. Auto plow at 2" or more
3. If during daytime hours drivelane plowing gets paid 60% of plow rate
4. Salting is per event and they want salt at the beginning of the event the way we read it
The (4) facilities they contacted us about taking care of are as follows along with the rates:
1. 1.4 acres, $55 plow at 2", $50 salt
2. 1.2 acres, $50 plow at 2", $50 salt
3. 3.2 acres, $140 plow at 2", $85 salt
4. Truck docks only $25 plow at 2", $20 salt

All of these are different locations spaced throughout our service area and the rate is about 1/3 of what it should be 2 of the locations are 24 hours a day!

We literally laughed at the rates they gave us as anyone should! Beware BFS is trying to be the next USM and they have the $$ to do it, the funny thing is that they hired/subbed all of this out but didn't use the local branches we have 3 in our service area....

#19 ·
It was my understanding that pics needed to be taken when you get on site and when you are done. with a camera that is time stamped...thats how they calculate the bill.

#22 ·
Mike S;849523 said:
Well said!!! Im going with what silver said! I agree 100%
Hey Mike,

Are you prepping your body for the upcoming winter and becoming a night owl a little early. lol

#23 ·
mullis56;849793 said:
Brickman isn't really reputable. The local branches that you guys are referring to for subbing to might be okay, but here is the problem. Brickman Facility Services - still same company is trying to be like a USM or any other national company! They won all of our Lowe's stores here locally this year, and yes they sub out the work through BFS not even to their local branches because it is bid so low. On top of that they won some of the Groger stores here, and they contacted us about taking care of them. Here are the details:
1. No Walks
2. Auto plow at 2" or more
3. If during daytime hours drivelane plowing gets paid 60% of plow rate
4. Salting is per event and they want salt at the beginning of the event the way we read it
The (4) facilities they contacted us about taking care of are as follows along with the rates:
1. 1.4 acres, $55 plow at 2", $50 salt
2. 1.2 acres, $50 plow at 2", $50 salt
3. 3.2 acres, $140 plow at 2", $85 salt
4. Truck docks only $25 plow at 2", $20 salt

Holy Moly, those prices are insane. I am glad you just laughed at them.

#25 ·
PASS!!#@$%#$^

Plain and simple... look up brickmans posts i made from last year..

We subbed for them a few bigger sites, nothing major but one truck each at least.. HOURLY... and didnt pay bad on paper.

In NJ, we had 7 salt apps in late december 08... NONE for brickmans 3 sites we were to do.. since we have to wait for them to call :realmad:

By January 10th area ~, we got bad ice one morning, so bad that parking lots without contracted services were a thick sheet of ice... this was our eh, maybe 4th salting of january already.. again, NEVER salted anything for the brickman sites....

So one morning, im on the route close to one of the 3 sites were to salt/plow for ****mans... what do i see when i get to the 2 acre parking lot property? a freaking poop brown truck with a v box leaving and loaded with migrant workers... Red faced, i almost left a load of bricks in my pants... i swear if i wasnt that much in control of myself i would have started a fight right there in the parking lot.

More embarrassed thinking possibly they knew who i was for that site yadda yadda, we canceled all sites with them that afternoon. They made it sound like a error in paperwork or some crap, yet they continuously told us not to pre treat or apply any salt products to the properties until called upon.

Im sure when it starts to snow 12" one night and i have 2-3 trucks and employees dedicated to those sites, they'll surely call in a blink after i tell those drivers that brickmans didnt call yet and so we cant do any work.. How would you like to deal with those employee relations and last minute tactics?

We did take over two of brickmans sites that they had this year so im all peachy as of right now :)

#26 ·
Young Pup;850490 said:
Holy Moly, those prices are insane. I am glad you just laughed at them.
yeah 3.2 acres lol, we do 3200sq ft and charge that much for some nj stores lol.

terrible, $85 salt haha, so what that at least pays for a ton of salt for 3.2 acres, no labor or equipment costs to spread? what happens when salt is 90-$115 a ton mid/late winter, id just quit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.