Brand New SnowEx PP 8100 Bending Wing Cylinder rams! HELP!

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by CGLC, Jan 13, 2020.

1. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

Blizzard, Douglass Dynamics, SnowEx
    810, 8100, I've owned several of each make.. I've never bent a wing cylinder with over 15 years of plowing with them.

2019 Brand new SnowEx 8100 PP. During our first storm the PS. ram bent after pushing a pile of snow into the pile.

Bought a new ram and the same thing happened the next storm!

Took the plow into the dealership. Hoses are run correctly, and the relief pressure is right at 1700 psi. Nothing they can do for me.

No scratches, marks or anything on the bent wing..

Beyond frustrated and in addition I have an order in for purchasing more of the SnowEx PP.

2. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

Are the rams on your new plow smaller than the ones on your older plows (you still have one of your older plows to compare them to?). Just wondering if they are making less capable rams.

what’s bending on the ram - the internal cylinder?

is the dealer replacing them for free?

take pictures snd send them to Snowex and see what they say

i’d cancel your pending orders if it were me.

NYH1 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

4. OP
    OP
    CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

IMG_20191207_221322416.jpg IMG_20191207_221322416.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

The white stuff is lithium grease. The slide boxes are in perfect shape.

6. OP
    OP
    CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

Found out the issue

East Central Diesel in Cambridge MN installed the hoses the wrong way. Instead of doing the right thing of switching them when they tested the plow they chose the hack way of rewiring the coils. The plow essentially had no pressure relief because of it and bent 3 Rams in the process. The installation was so bad that the other dealership was stumped at first because it was such an outrageous error.

In addition to the hack installation I was also charge for services they never performed until I caught them. They also kept parts off my truck that I had to get back only after I noticed they were gone.

NYH1, Western1, tpendagast and 2 others like this.
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite Fanatic

Glad they found it. Sounds like someone at the dealer needs to be fired and they probably billed snowex back for the warranty work.

8. iceyman

iceyman PlowSite Fanatic

Does snowex know what the dealer did? If not they should

LapeerLandscape likes this.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Holy Schnikeys...what a bunch of maroons.

LapeerLandscape likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

Kinda... I talked to a rep about the stolen parts and over charge bill. They didn't seem too interested.

Douglas Dynamics aka SnowEx said in no way will they give me a dime back in the repairs. $1200.00 to date for ram replacement & shop fee's.

They say it's 100% dealer error yet they have no problems selling them more plows .

tpendagast likes this.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You need to have a nice letter sent to the dealer...from your attorney.

NYH1, Landgreen, dieselss and 4 others like this.
  12. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite Fanatic

And maybe snowex corporate? Just so the dealer knows they were informed what a moron they are.

NYH1 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  13. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

^^CGLC, u must be :angry: :realmad:. :drinkup:,s /patron is only a temporary fix !!.. A good attorney will tear this apart ! Keep
    records, notes, costs, times / dates and most of all your loss of wages due to truck/plow down time when storms came through = $$$ Good Luck

NYH1 and CGLC like this.
  14. tpendagast

tpendagast Senior Member

Interesting
    We have several of the same plow
    In my experience we gave the opposite problem... our wings are limp
    They will “Release” with simple friction from using the down pressure feature.
    Also the cutting edges have work substantially after only a few storms.

after some research it seems we need to turn our relief valves up.

curious if this is dealer set up issue or factory quality control issue

15. tpendagast

tpendagast Senior Member

Snow ex corporate communicating (in my experience) falls on deaf ears
    They’re full of “excuses” and no answers or compelling need to make anything right.

16. tpendagast

tpendagast Senior Member

^this

17. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Wing cutting edge wear is very dependent on the A-frame being parallel with the ground. Forward pushing with down pressure on, while unnecessary is most conditions IMO, should have little effect on wing only wear if the plow geometry is correct.

If you adjust your wing pressure reliefs, be sure to use a pressure gauge and not exceed 1700psi or a very expensive wing cylinder might be on your shopping list soon.

Not sure what issue you are referring to. The OPs problem is definitely a dealer issue as they are responsible for attaching the wing hoses to the cylinders and verifying that the hose routing is correct. Your problem is could be either. Press relief setting are set during manufacturing. Adjusting plow height is an installer issue.

NYH1, cwren2472 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  18. tpendagast

tpendagast Senior Member

Good point
    Stock 2019 f350 x2
    Both premature wing wear
    Sounds like the dealer didn’t set the height right like you said

the pressure relief is definitely “wimpy” compared to my experience with previous blizzards than on these new snow ex plows (I’ve had 8 blizzards, now have 3 snow ex and 8 boss plows)
    Different dealers

interesting what you said about level/angle of installation
    I was leaning in the direction of lesser quality cutting edge steel than previous generation plows - but what you said makes sense